Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-06-2005, 07:07 PM   #11
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Wireless range extension?

here's that link to what I was talking about for the RangeMAX access point by netgear: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833150022

CrossCech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 03:38 PM   #12
Guru

Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

If it was me, for just one Computer, I would install a normal Router and get some Network Cable from Screwfix? Bit of Piping, little trench, get internet to your house so much cheaper than a Wireless Router and a Wireless Network Card; and faster.

Old 10-09-2005, 01:04 PM   #13
Solid State Member

yeah, I had thought of that, but most of the space between the house and the shed is concrete, with heavy machinary driving around, so a trench and pipes wasn't a particularly practical option.
nuckpang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 03:16 PM   #14
Guru

Ah, good point. What about a lead from the attic of the house to a stick near the shed to the shed?
Old 10-10-2005, 03:48 AM   #15
Solid State Member

Hmm, it's still tricky, just the way the place is laid out doesn't lend itself too well to that kind of thing, but it's do-able. The one thing I'd be worried about is weatherproofing the cable, how easy would that be to do?
nuckpang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 06:24 PM   #16
Guru

Well there would of course be heavyduty cable available, but it is expensive. Personally, for a cheap option I would myself put electronic insulation tape down the entire length.

But I'm a cheaparse
Old 10-10-2005, 07:42 PM   #17
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckpang
Hi, thanks to everyone who's given me advice so far, but I'm still floundering :S

I'm having trouble getting the routers to "talk to each other" if you get what I mean. The house pc is currently moved to the upstairs room, and is happily chatting away to the router in the shed, but I can't get the signal to bounce off the house router to the house computer.
In order to have your routers talk to each other ... you need to "BRIDGE" them. Best way to accomplish this without typing a book of instructions for you ... check out the manufacturer's website of your 2 units and find out how best to bridge them. You'll work from the shed router first and tell it to bridge to your router in the house.

I suggest that you check out the manufacturer websites and contact tech support.

No knock on Lord Kalthorn, but the whole point of going wireless is so that you dont have to bust your hump digging a trench line to run an ethernet line. Go ahead LK, dig your lines ... I've got better things to do with my time than swinging a pick axe.
CrossCech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 09:04 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCech
No knock on Lord Kalthorn, but the whole point of going wireless is so that you dont have to bust your hump digging a trench line to run an ethernet line. Go ahead LK, dig your lines ... I've got better things to do with my time than swinging a pick axe.
Haha, well tell me old school - but I highly enjoy laying Ethernet Cable, especially outside