Wireless Networking Query

RVFmal

Baseband Member
I want to set up a wireless network using the following items:

2 x D-Link Wireless Access Points DWL- 2100AP (both items connected to the workstations by ethernet cable)
1 x PC running Win XP Pro SP2 (internet is connected to this PC to be shared)
1 x notebook running Win XP Pro SP2

I want to run a network that share the internet connection connected to the PC and to share files, folders and printers between the 2.

How do I set up the Access Points to connect these?

Here is the first problem with your set up idea, you need to connect the access point to the router, or switch with and ethernet cable, and then connect to other computers wirelessly. The way that you described it you will be connecting the computers to the access point with an ethernet cable, which won't work.

That being said you won't need two access points unless the other two computers are very far from each other. With the two access points being wireless, I would recommend getting something like a wireless USB adapter. They are pretty cheap and are easier to install then a built in card for the desktops.

I also sounds like you want to set up a windows home network which is a great thing, unfortunately I don't have any experience in setting them up. But if you google it or visit www.microsoft.com, they have good directions, I'm sure. They should be able to help you with setting up a print server too.

Cheers!

yea sharing files and folders is perfectly easy, just like with printers. just right click what you want and go to "sharing..", after running the home network wizard in the control panel of course.
... oh and i hate to be a pain in the butt, but @wmorri, sig's are only allowed to be 5 lines long.

Back
Top Bottom