Wireless networking

No, USB is the worst of all the connections mentioned.

Wired is the best option, followed by Wireless with a dedicated wireless PCI card, USB to wireless adaptors being the last option.

BullDog(UK)

I disagree. It has been proven to me, time and time again, that a USB wireless adapter works 10x better than an internal PCI card.

The reason I believe that Internal wireless cards are better than USB, isn't about speeds (as such). It's down to other factors like CPU load and temperature e.g on an average Computers USB wireless adaptors will place a greater load on the CPU and give an average increase in temperture of 2c to 6c, unlike the Internal wireless cards.

Ok, speed wise you should (not always) see speeds matching those of a internal wireless card, but as I put other factors into the equation, I alway opt for wired or internal wireless first.

BullDog(UK)

I see....I've never researched this part of the connection. The reason I don't like internal PCI cards over USB is because I have seen them drop the connection time and time again, sometimes won't connect- so it's more of a connection standpoint than anything. I can see where the 2-6C could cause issues, especially in gaming rigs.
As for the USB, I've never seen an issue with them obtaining a connection, and keeping it longer than a PCI. Although, we are dealing with wireless, and many fators come into play, ie distance, interfearence, walls, floors, metal, etc. For someone relatively new, or non-technical, I recommend USB over PCI for the connection reason, plus ease of use. I never knew about the heat issue it could potentially cause- that's good info. :)

pctechmike said:
For someone relatively new, or non-technical, I recommend USB over PCI for the connection reason, plus ease of use/QUOTE]

Fair point, for people that fall under the category you've described, for ease of use and not requiring someone to go inside the Computer, then USB is a good option.

To some up, if you're confident about going inside the Computer then ok, but if not use USB for reasons 'pctechmike' described.

Gamers just make sure the temperature is ok ;)

BullDog(UK)

Back
Top Bottom