Wireless Network - sharing files & printer

oceanscape

Beta member
Hello

I have set up a wireless home network between my PC and laptop. The PC runs Windows XP Home and the Laptop runs Windows XP Professional.

The internet connection runs fine, but how do I allow the laptop to share the main PC's printer? And, how can the 2 computers share files?

Thank you for any help!

right click on teh printer and go to sharing!

also make sure all pcs are in the workgroup. and then share what files ya want by right clickign and sahring.

athlon how do I make sure all the PC are in a workgroup. Where do I go to do that. The network hub is a lynksys wireless-G ADSL gateway
I currently have a pc on Ethernet and laptop on wifi
The printer on desktop "clicked" for sharing
do I have to do the same for the lappy?

Both are running XP

Right-click My Computer>>Properties>>Computer Name>>create a name for your workgroup other than WORKGROUP. Do this on both machines.

The printer on the pc should be shared as you stated. After you've created your workgroup, you should be able to go to My Network Places (open it) select folders. Left pane expand Entire Network>>expand Microsoft Windows Network>>expand *workgroup*. You should see your desktop listed. This is to confirm that you've created your workgroup.

Now to connect your printer:
Start>>Control Panel (or if you see Printers & Faxes - choose that instead)>>Printers and Other Hardware>>Printers and Faxes>>Left pane select Add new printer>>Next>>select 2nd radio button>>next>>again select 2nd radio button>>next.
Now it should search for shared printers on your network. When it finds it, select it and install. A dialog box will come up saying something like "this is the first time you've tried to connect to this printer ... will need to install drivers ... do you want to?" Select yes. And that should be it. Hope this helped.

ok done that but it saying I'm not the network administrator although I the computers administrator

and therefore have no access to it

turn off windows firewall on both pc's.

You might need to input your username and password from your laptop into your desktop pc.

To do this: On Desktop PC>>right-click My Computer>>manage>>In left pane: expand local users & groups>>right-click user folder>>input exact username and password from laptop.

Once the laptop user has been added to the desktop list of users, right-click username in right pane>>properties>>Member of tab>>add>>add administrator to list of groups that the user will be a member of.

This will give the user from laptop rights to access the shared printer THROUGH the desktop. Important thing to remember: desktop pc must also be on if you want to access the shared printer from your laptop.

Back
Top Bottom