Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-27-2006, 06:38 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default wireless network addon to normal

hi there,
i have a network in my house and use a router to access broadband internet. Is it possible to somehow just add a wireless to the router or would i have to replace the router? In other words, can i have a normal connection AND a wireless one?

many thanks!

toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: wireless network addon to normal

Yes you can. Depends though on how your original router issues ip addresses (static or dhcp) and which router you want to continue handling that.

Router A = original one and Router B = wireless router.

Suppose A (IP address: 192.168.0.1) is handling IP addresses via DHCP using 192.168.0.2 & up, then you would manually configure B's wan ip address with a static address of 192.168.0.2 with default gateway as 192.168.0.1. Turn off DHCP on B. Wireless pc's then should receive an ip address automatically from A via B once they connect to B with appropriate SSID & encryption password (WEP, WPA).

However, you may actually find it easier to just remove Router A and install Router B. Again, this depends on your needs from Router A.

CrossCech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:32 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

sigh... u guys do such complicated things.
For the comp u want a wired connection... wire it. For the other one, if it is a new laptop, it should have an internal card to give u wi-fi/lan wireless a/b/g. check if ur router is compatible to any of those. if ur router/modem is (this occasion is rare) wireless n(n is only a prototype for the real thing coming 2007...commercial purposes) u need to buy an adapter that suits N. But if the desired wireless connection part is a pc, get a pci card. done.
spywarebanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:05 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

well ... guess it depends on if his original ROUTER is a wireless ROUTER or not. If not, then he needs to install a wireless router. The suggestion I posted is correct, if he wants to add a wireless ROUTER to his existing ROUTER. I also suggested that he replace the original ROUTER with a wireless ROUTER, which would be considerably easier, and was his question. Can't very well add a wireless laptop to a non-wireless router. First things first. Nothing "complicated" about it.
CrossCech is offline   Reply With Quote