Wireless Network

cantona

Daemon Poster
Hello

I want to be able to share files and most importantly a printer with my mums laptop. Will my PC have to have a wireless network adapter to do this?

I currently have a Dlink 502T modem connected to a Dlink DIR 300 wireless router so she can access the internet.

Cheers,
Cantona

thanks for the reply.

I meant do I (PC) need a wireless network adapter so then she can acccess the printer attached to the pc.

If you are connected to the network then no. You would just share the printer on the PC and use the PC address and printer port to tell the laptop where the printer is. for example
//pcname(server)//printer
the type of network you have is irrelevant. (wired or wireless)

thanks so much

now you seem to know your stuff and I unfortunately I do not, would you be able to tell me how I would do all that stuff you mentioned?

cheers,
cantona

Well, can you see the internet on BOTH computers? If you can, you should be able to access file and printer sharing on both computers, too, as long as they are on the same network. To test that, you should find their IP addresses (open up the start menu, RUN, then type cmd.exe and hit run. At the prompt, type IP Config. Do this on both computers and write down the IP addresses). After checking the IPs, they should be nearly the same (i.e. 192.168.0.*, or 192.168.1.*, in other words, all numbers should match except those after the last decimal). If that works, you should be able to go to My Network Places and see the other PC just fine.

Back
Top Bottom