Wireless Ethernet Card

rendezvous

Solid State Member
I'm thinking of building a new computer, and I have no way of connecting it to the internet using an Ethernet cable, (my computer will be in a different room and pretty far away from my router). I was wondering if using a wireless Ethernet card would slow down the connection to my computer, or if there are any downsides to using wireless. I'm guessing it depends on the Mbps or the GHz, which I don't yet understand about Ethernet cards, so how much would I be forced to spend for a decent one that would give me same quality as a good wired ethernet card?
Also, if I was forced to use wired, or if wireless would start pissing me off, does the Mobo I have in mind come with a good built in Ethernet card? or should I just get another card? http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813130071.

On a totally other note, that I just had a question about, is if the built in sound card on the same Mobo very good? Or should I spend money on a new sound card?

It'd also be great if you could comment on my current setup: https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersio...ber=4768854&WishListTitle=cheburns+help+setup

Wireless won't slow down the hard wire internet connection if that's your first question.

The ethernet card on that motherboard is very good. Odds are that your router won't use it to it's full potential.

When it comes to actual wireless cards, I would go with a linksys. Anyone by linksys will do.

I own a wireless Netgear Router, but after reading some reviews on newegg, it sounds like it's not the way to go (Wireless wise). Would I be able to use a linksys wireless card with my Netgear WGT614 V6 Wireless/wired router?

yea you can use any wireless card with any router as long as they both support the same thing, eg: i dont know if you can use a wireless b adapter on a wireless g network. although newer cards dont have this problem.

wireless is totally fine imo. im on it right now no problem

I just remember going to a friend's house who had a wireless connection, and he had the shittiest connection ever... I suggested his ISP, but he strongly defended it saying it was the best. He usually does this with all of his computer stuff.
My other friend said the same thing about them having to be compatible and whatnot, so I'll just have to find a working card.

as long as its a new card there wont be any problems. ive moved moved my router because of line trouble and im only getting 1 or 2 bars in this room but it works fine. i only usually have problems when i fcuk it up myself

well an A or B card wont work lol. An N card will work in your router aswell but you wont get the added speed.

basically most cards are G now days, if not N. so any new one will work

Back
Top Bottom