Wireless connection speed

kippaxian

Beta member
Hi,

hope someone can help me with the following:

recently got a new laptop and always had speeds of 54 mbps being about 3 meters away from the router.

I have just secured my wireless internet connection as it was unsecure, can this affect the speed making it drop to 24mbps which it always is now ?

Have also reinstalled bitcomet can that alter the speed too if I haven't configured it properly ?

I don't have any cordless phones etc close by either.

How can I get it back up to 54mbps ?

Rgards,
Ian.

Securing it should not have slowed it down and neither should running that program. is your signal quality still excelent or what does it show for the quality? Try unplugging the power from your router for 5 seconds and plugging it back in, it will reset and may fix the issue.

I've never seen a wireless card transfer at 54Mbps, much less hold a connection with that rating for long (A router company got sued not long ago for printing this spec on it's router box, and didn't live up to it). The reality of it is, your ISP is only allowing so much bandwidth to you, so the only place you should see a difference would be on your own network transferring files over the network. Most ISP are only allowing 8Mbps download and 512Kbps upload speeds. I know Comcast has 8Mbps, and Bell South has 6Mbps (in and around my area) download speeds- if you're willing to pay the xtra $. The 54Mbps- maybe in the future when all networks are made of fiber to our homes:)

No, securing your network shouldn't slow it down. The only way a program is going to slow down your bandwith is if it is downloading massive amounts of info at the same time you're on the net doing something else.

Thanks for your input fellas.

Got up this morning and turned laptop back on I'm back up to 54mbps, signal strength is "excellent" which it was when it dropped to 24 mbps.

I'm on a wlan-g wireless network using an eminent 4040nBase router.

I guess I just paniced a bit as I've always had 54mbps.

Regards,
Ian.

It may have always shown 54Mbps, but it's not transferring at that speed. If it is, I'm going to get one of those!

yeah it shows the speed at 54mbps, where can I find out the transfer speed ?

pctechmike said:
It may have always shown 54Mbps, but it's not transferring at that speed. If it is, I'm going to get one of those!

Maybe someone was using a phone that had 2.4 ghz or a microwave or something that interfered w/ your signals?

I'm in Europe but did the test anyway using the server in New York and got the following results:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 1113 kbps (139.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 175 kbps (21.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

This good or bad ?

ccbsball12 said:
If you want to check what speeds your actually logging, this is a good site http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

just click what region your closest too and it tests the download speed, and the upload speed

hope this helps

kippax thats not to great, but its probably not to great because its pretty far from england to new york, i live in pennsylvania and got 6094/333 kbps when testing new york

what kind of connection do you have

Back
Top Bottom