Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-14-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Wireless connection problems, HELP!

I've got a Dell laptop, and have a problem connecting to wireless networks. For example, my brother lives on his own, and has a wireless internet service. Sometimes when I visit him at his house I will take my laptop with me to take advantage of his wireless service. Anyway, when I try to connect to his LAN, it will say I am connected and it will also say "signal strength: excellent"--yet I am unable to visit web sites, log onto AIM, etc. What could be the problem? Thanks

pay tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:22 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se
Default Re: Wireless connection problems, HELP!

its a long shot but what about mac address filtering? some people use unsecure networks and people can connect but because the router doesnt have their mac address it wont load up anything. does your wireless card work elsewhere?

Old 04-14-2007, 06:25 PM   #3
Beta Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_se View Post
its a long shot but what about mac address filtering? some people use unsecure networks and people can connect but because the router doesnt have their mac address it wont load up anything. does your wireless card work elsewhere?
That could possibly be it, no it does not allow me to connect to other LANs. How do I configure my MAC address?
pay tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:48 PM   #4
Golden Master

i doubt all wlan's as they are actually called will have mac address filtering. maybe you have a dogey card. you tried updating the drivers?
Old 04-15-2007, 04:06 AM   #5
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Has he got a WEP or WPA key on his connection? If so then you might have entered that wrong. Ask ya brother about it.
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:54 AM   #6
BSOD

Quote:
I've got a Dell laptop, and have a problem connecting to wireless networks. For example, my brother lives on his own, and has a wireless internet service. Sometimes when I visit him at his house I will take my laptop with me to take advantage of his wireless service. Anyway, when I try to connect to his LAN, it will say I am connected and it will also say "signal strength: excellent"--yet I am unable to visit web sites, log onto AIM, etc. What could be the problem? Thanks
If it says you're 'connected' and signal strength is 'excellent' then you are connecting to his wireless router at least.

Next thing you should do is open command prompt and see if the router is assigning your notebook an IP address from the router and grab all the ip information?

ipconfig /all <---will display all ip info.

I don't think theres any authentication/encryption/security in place on the router. If their was it would have prompted your for the network key before it states connected and signal strength as excellent.

Do you have a firewall running on your notebook?
0x0161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:05 PM   #7
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffaz View Post
Has he got a WEP or WPA key on his connection? If so then you might have entered that wrong. Ask ya brother about it.
nah. if it says connected then the key is ok. if the keys wrong it will keep on saying "aqquiring an ip address" and will eventually give up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x0161 View Post
If it says you're 'connected' and signal strength is 'excellent' then you are connecting to his wireless router at least.

Next thing you should do is open command prompt and see if the router is assigning your notebook an IP address from the router and grab all the ip information?

ipconfig /all <---will display all ip info.

I don't think theres any authentication/encryption/security in place on the router. If their was it would have prompted your for the network key before it states connected and signal strength as excellent.

Do you have a firewall running on your notebook?
yea good advice.