Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-14-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2
Default Wireless connection problems, HELP!

I've got a Dell laptop, and have a problem connecting to wireless networks. For example, my brother lives on his own, and has a wireless internet service. Sometimes when I visit him at his house I will take my laptop with me to take advantage of his wireless service. Anyway, when I try to connect to his LAN, it will say I am connected and it will also say "signal strength: excellent"--yet I am unable to visit web sites, log onto AIM, etc. What could be the problem? Thanks
__________________

pay tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:22 PM   #2
Golden Master
 
dude_se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,632
Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se
Default Re: Wireless connection problems, HELP!

its a long shot but what about mac address filtering? some people use unsecure networks and people can connect but because the router doesnt have their mac address it wont load up anything. does your wireless card work elsewhere?
__________________

__________________
Laptop spec: ASUS X53E, i5 2430m 2.4ghz, 3gb ram, 320gb hdd, intel hd graphics, usb 3.0
dude_se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:25 PM   #3
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2
Default Re: Wireless connection problems, HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_se View Post
its a long shot but what about mac address filtering? some people use unsecure networks and people can connect but because the router doesnt have their mac address it wont load up anything. does your wireless card work elsewhere?
That could possibly be it, no it does not allow me to connect to other LANs. How do I configure my MAC address?
pay tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:48 PM   #4
Golden Master
 
dude_se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,632
Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se
Default Re: Wireless connection problems, HELP!

i doubt all wlan's as they are actually called will have mac address filtering. maybe you have a dogey card. you tried updating the drivers?
__________________
Laptop spec: ASUS X53E, i5 2430m 2.4ghz, 3gb ram, 320gb hdd, intel hd graphics, usb 3.0
dude_se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:06 AM   #5
Golden Master
 
Raffaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,798
Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz
Default Re: Wireless connection problems, HELP!

Has he got a WEP or WPA key on his connection? If so then you might have entered that wrong. Ask ya brother about it.
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:54 AM   #6
BSOD
 
0x0161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 441
Default Re: Wireless connection problems, HELP!

Quote:
I've got a Dell laptop, and have a problem connecting to wireless networks. For example, my brother lives on his own, and has a wireless internet service. Sometimes when I visit him at his house I will take my laptop with me to take advantage of his wireless service. Anyway, when I try to connect to his LAN, it will say I am connected and it will also say "signal strength: excellent"--yet I am unable to visit web sites, log onto AIM, etc. What could be the problem? Thanks
If it says you're 'connected' and signal strength is 'excellent' then you are connecting to his wireless router at least.

Next thing you should do is open command prompt and see if the router is assigning your notebook an IP address from the router and grab all the ip information?

ipconfig /all <---will display all ip info.

I don't think theres any authentication/encryption/security in place on the router. If their was it would have prompted your for the network key before it states connected and signal strength as excellent.

Do you have a firewall running on your notebook?
0x0161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:05 PM   #7
Golden Master
 
dude_se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,632
Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se
Default Re: Wireless connection problems, HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffaz View Post
Has he got a WEP or WPA key on his connection? If so then you might have entered that wrong. Ask ya brother about it.
nah. if it says connected then the key is ok. if the keys wrong it will keep on saying "aqquiring an ip address" and will eventually give up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x0161 View Post
If it says you're 'connected' and signal strength is 'excellent' then you are connecting to his wireless router at least.

Next thing you should do is open command prompt and see if the router is assigning your notebook an IP address from the router and grab all the ip information?

ipconfig /all <---will display all ip info.

I don't think theres any authentication/encryption/security in place on the router. If their was it would have prompted your for the network key before it states connected and signal strength as excellent.

Do you have a firewall running on your notebook?
yea good advice.
__________________

__________________
Laptop spec: ASUS X53E, i5 2430m 2.4ghz, 3gb ram, 320gb hdd, intel hd graphics, usb 3.0
dude_se is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0