Wireless Connection problems

Celegorm

Site Team
Staff member
OK, so here's the scoop. One of our family computer's connects to the network wirelessly. Every time the computer turns on, or is left for a deal of time over one hour, the connection will drop, and try to reconnect. I'm not worried about that. What I am stumped at is until I right-click the wireless icon and click "repair" it will remain stuck at "Obtaining IP Address". Once I click repair, it will get the IP and work fine until we leave it, or shut it down.

I have connected other computers to the router wirelessly and they work with out a problem. The problem computer does have the password in for wireless. As much as I want to do a driver update, I haven't had luck with D-Links' new drivers (blue-screen issues). Any Ideas on what could be doing this?

Hmm well a few thins i usualy do with problems like this
Check that DHCP is on in the router and IP address is set to auto or if you dont use dhcp check that the IP adress is set properly
I usually change the channel on the router and see if that helps any
Also is the router running the latest firmware and is this network also first on the network connection list in wireless properties
Also there is nothing in between this pc and the router like a microwave or a wall with pipes in it . Cordless phones also dont help cos if i put my cordless phone handset next to my laptop it literally dips the network signal to nothing

DCHP is on, and the router logs show that it is getting an IP but windows does not see it.

The channel is default because of extra speed fetures with a d-link card and router and I don't really wanna lose that.

Firmware is up to date. Personally I doubted firmware was the issue since other computers could connect with no problem, but I gave it a shot anyways.

No phones or microwaves, just two walls it has to go around. When my sister's lappy is here (the one that connects with no problems) it has to go through more, and past a microwave and it doesn't have any issues besides real low signal strength. No pipes in the wall either.

THe network was not the first on the list. there were a bunch of dead networks on the list, so I deleted them and have ours on the top.

There were also a few wireless things (from gateway) that were going on startup. I have disabled them from turning on with the computer, so I'm going to see now what that combo did for the problems.

{edit} Just restarted it a few times, and it connected no problem. I'll let it sit overnight and see if it's all good. Thanks Muz.

Back
Top Bottom