Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-06-2005, 01:05 AM   #1
Solid State Member

Default Windows firewall preventing setup of home network and network printer

Windows firewall preventing setup of home network and network printer setup. When I start the home network setup process a balloon pops up at the task bar saying your computer might be at risk and the the scanning and detecting process stops. This is a new built computer. The exceptions are checked. I even gone into services to disable the firewall. Just have it turn its self back on and stops the setup every time.. After trying changing and trying different setting

I did a fresh install of Xp home. I ignored the balloon about protection and turning on the fire wall and setup the network and printer with no problem. Once I turn on the firewall I was unable to use the network or printer. Again I'm unable to get the network to work or set back up. The firewall interferes. The XP machine I'm connecting to has the same problem. Seems once the firewall is turned on theres no way to turn it off so it stays off.

If it wasn't for the fact it's done this with three fresh installs, I'd think a hacker was having fun with me..

I use a linksys router connecting the two computers. Even tried a crossover cable setup same thing. Connect to the internet with no problem. No other firewall installed yet

HAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 10:00 AM   #2
The Candyman

Default Re: Windows firewall preventing setup of home network and network printer

1st of all stop using windows firewall, it is a joke and will not protect you from intrusions. Your best bet is to disable it in sevices.

also I would go on-line to the Microsoft web site & order the servise pack 2 CD. it is free & they will send it to you via mail. it takes 3 to 5 working days to get to you.

when you get it, install it in safemode, that's what my friend did & he say's it works great. He is a wiz when it comes to computer's so i trust his judgement.

Old 03-06-2005, 03:18 PM   #3
Solid State Member

Default Re: Windows firewall preventing setup of home network and network printer

I have sp-2 installed.

When I stop and disable windows firewall in services it turns it's self back on and to auto.

I did get the printer to share and one share folder to work. I'll log in later to give a better dicription of my problem.

thanks for reply.
HAKE is offline   Reply With Quote