Windows Command Line Networking Help

Optimus Ping

Baseband Member
Hi everyone!

This is my first post here and I have a few questions. Any help, links etc would be useful.

here goes

1. I remember one of the founders of apple talking about hacking into another computer on his network at school or something using only command line tools. Is this possible? I don't think he was talking about a shared drive but something a bit more technical?

2. Is there a way to surf or go to websites using only the command line...sort of text only pages?

3. What are the chat rooms, game rooms, message boards that are kind of like IRC or Utonet or something that you can access from the command line? These are ancient but are still in use I think mainly as text only fantasy games. I forgot the names of those too? MUDDs?

4. Best way to troubleshoot remote machines? Ping to see if it's connected but beyond that what can I use. If I ping my remote computer and it is connected but for all other practical purposes it doesn't appear to be working. Can I find out what services are running etc?

5. What is netsh used for in real life applications?

6. What is your most used command line command or utility? besides ping and why?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Optimus Ping!

1. I remember one of the founders of apple talking about hacking into another computer on his network at school or something using only command line tools. Is this possible? I don't think he was talking about a shared drive but something a bit more technical?

Yes, you could do this easily, FTP exploits, data injection, etc.

2. Is there a way to surf or go to websites using only the command line...sort of text only pages?

telnet google.ca 80
type some random crap, than hit enter a few times.

3. What are the chat rooms, game rooms, message boards that are kind of like IRC or Utonet or something that you can access from the command line? These are ancient but are still in use I think mainly as text only fantasy games. I forgot the names of those too? MUDDs?

4. Best way to troubleshoot remote machines? Ping to see if it's connected but beyond that what can I use. If I ping my remote computer and it is connected but for all other practical purposes it doesn't appear to be working. Can I find out what services are running etc?

You can find out what services are visible to you by using a port scanner

5. What is netsh used for in real life applications?

6. What is your most used command line command or utility? besides ping and why?

nmap :D Figure out what computers are running.

I understand the FTP but how would a data injection work?

Simple, telnet can access any port. Therefor you can just do about anything with telnet clear text. You could send a web server a bad request and crash it (These bugs are few and far between, and very quickly corrected however).

Back
Top Bottom