Win 7 Network Problems

AnonymousI

In Runtime
Most people have switched to the "new and improved" Windows 7. I agree that its a tad bit better than Vista. However, the most serious downfall is the HORRIBLE LAN/WAN performance when using a wired/less router. As most of Win7 users have noticed, LAN speeds are far less than Dial-Up speeds!! In terms of file transfers, the slowest speed I get is 10 KB/s no matter the file type/size! WAN performance is also far below average (1.5mb down vs 8mb). I cannot even access my router's configuration page! Users have also reported that Win7 disrupts wired/less network traffic in many frustrating ways like dropping wired/less connectivity. This is totally unacceptable.

I have already spent countless hours and tried just about every solution posted on the web including updating network drivers, disabling ipv6, netsh-ing, etc. None of them worked. The router is not the problem-its specifically Win7. I know that Win7 is to blame. LAN and router config works fine in W2k3, W2k8, XP, and Vista. Its just when Win7 is added to the mix, everything goes haywire.

Any ideas on how to resolve this problem?

I haven't heard of anyone reporting these kinds of problems with Windows 7.

Maybe if you can't find an alternate solution, your best bet would be to go back to Windows Vista (or whatever OS you were running before).

It's possibly still a driver issue and one hasn't yet been released that rectifies the problem. Before switching OS's I'd contact the NIC manufacturer and ask if there's any similar problems reported and if there's a solution. It might also be worth plugging a card in if you've got some lying around and seeing if that solves the problem (if it does then you can be pretty certain it is a driver problem.)

As above I haven't heard of any such problems reported myself - but if there are widespread issues like that around and it's windows 7's fault, I'd be surprised if Microsoft didn't get a fix out soon enough.

I'm on a wireless Win 7 right now with no trouble at all. I'm at work, so I've got network drives that I access just as fast as my XP. I'm on remote desktop to our servers with no problems. Heck, I've even got 2 online games running plus doing all that stuff. No speed issues at all....

I'd guess it's all driver issues.

Back
Top Bottom