Will it work?

Samuel1

Solid State Member
I'd really like a broadband connection. Unfourtunately the cable line runs out of signal long before it gets to my house. There is an office in my barn that can get the cable connection. Unfourtunately it is 500-700 feet to the barn and I would like to have the connection in my house. I had the idea of setting up a wireless connection between the two but I want to how much it might cost me and what type of equipment I would need.

no, thats far oo much of a distance for wireles, you'll loose the signal,
It's also too far to run a single ether net cable (cable length limit on cat 3 is ~100m

Your choices are either.
cat 5 with a prepeater (two or more port switch in the middle).
a laser link.
fibre optical link.

(Assuming you can dig a trench to lay a cable, or are able to put in an above ground link, Personally I'd go with the cat5/repeater (assuming you can also run power lines to somewhere around the middle)

What if I use an antenna that is directional and can be put outside such as the one the Hawking Technologies makes. They also make a usb directional antenna network adapter. I thik that would work eastier over trying to run the cable back to the house.

a long cable run (without a repeater) won't work because of the 100meter rule, (A wire is a wire, and a signal is a signal, the biggest problem with long distance runs is that UDP packets can collide as their transmission is not guarenteed.)
if you do get a repeater, I wouldn't even consider using patch cables, just buy a rol of cat 5 wire and make up your own,

have you thought of a fibre optic cable? (can make kilometer runs)

As for the wireless, it's a very interesting idea,
I'm not sure that this will work/be possible, but if anyone can find details the the tramsmitting power of the base stations/cards and the gain of the dishes, I'll do the maths and tell you whether it'll work.

IMHO, a laser link will be your best/safest bet, it will need to be installed professionaly, but will be very discrete, and will never sufesr signal problems on account of weather.

ok, i have 2 suggestions either setup up an ethernet connection using RJ4e cables and a network switch or alternatively setup a remote desktop connection but u can buy a router that will run ur distance, wirelessly of course, theyre obviously just kinda really pricely. ny questions just ask.

regards
matt

id say cat5e and reapeater or wireless. optical based routers can get pricey. have you seen one for under 500 us $ ??? not unless you have modules you can plug into your router. if its capable. also going 802.11 the range amy not work for your environment. but outdoor range is better. ill bring up soem comparison charts on 802.11 a vs b/g but b/g has better range but .a has better speed overer a greater range.

Back
Top Bottom