Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
Beta Member
Exclamation WiFi Problem!

Hi everyone,

I've got a Dell N5010 with Windows 7, after dropping my laptop and breaking the hard drive (thankfully just the HDD) I replaced it with one I bought from Amazon, all is well apart from I now have to use an external antenna for WiFi to work. Without it I just get ' No connections are available'. I also can't turn off the touchpad with the button to the right of F12 like I used to.

I read somewhere it might be to do with the Dell Drivers CD? Can anyone help me?

ryaneberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
In Runtime
Send a message via Skype™ to Kmart1212
Default Re: WiFi Problem!

i dont know to much about this stuff, but im going to take a guess that there is damage to the MOBO, not sure what you read about dell drivers, but reinstall them and see if that helps :/ Best of luck

Kmart1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
Golden Master
Send a message via Skype™ to BK_123

Yes its possible that you have damaged the inbuilt wireless card on the motherboard..
See all my PC spec's here https://bit.ly/1lWAJhz
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:52 AM   #4
Site Team

It's likely the drivers. Does it work if you plug it in with an ethernet cable? You can download the drivers from Dell's website from another computer and save them to a flash drive and then load them on the laptop too.

Actually just use the exteranl wireless, go to Dell's website, go to the support page and click on drivers, put in the service tag of the laptop and it will give you the drivers you need.
Don't take life too seriously -- no one gets out alive. Plus, who wants to arrive to the hereafter in pristine condition wearing a suit and tie?
I want to slide in sideways, worn out, used up, hair a mess, clothes tattered, & screaming, "Whooo! What a ride!"
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:28 AM   #5
Wizard of Wires

When you say external antenna I have to assume you mean something like a wireless usb device. If you can get the keyboard off you'll see the wireless card and where it plugs in. In a impact it's a sure bet the card came unplugged from it's socket.
If this is the case simply reseat the card and button her back up. Power up and check to see if it has come back to life.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote