wifi/lan bridge fails on some networks

mherber2

Beta member
I've setup a RPI to connect to a wifi network and used iptables to nat all traffic from eth0 to wlan0. When i perform this setup on some networks it works but on other networks it does not - the goal is to take in public wifi (such as from a hotel) and bridge it to ethernet which is connected to a router with other items behind it. Below is a summary of the steps im taking

1. install dnsmasq
2. enable ip forwarding
3. assign eth0 a static
4. configure dnsmasq for eth0
5. connect to wifi using wlan0
6. setup iptables with nat/masquerade

I've also tried to do the windows equivalent with internet connection sharing but was confronted with the same results - The same networks that worked with the pi worked with windows 10 but the networks that would not nat on the pi would not nat on windows either. If i leave my configs in place and connect to a different wifi (that works for this purpose) everything downstream receives internet as expected.

Could there be something upstream from my rpi/win10 bridge that prevents nat'ing on some networks?

A Wi-Fi/LAN bridge is a device or software that connects two different networks, allowing devices to communicate with each other even if they're on different networks. Sometimes, Wi-Fi/LAN bridges may fail to work on certain networks, which can be frustrating. Here are some possible reasons why this may happen and some potential solutions:

Network incompatibility: Not all networks are compatible with Wi-Fi/LAN bridges. Some networks may have security protocols or configurations that prevent the bridge from working properly. In this case, try connecting the bridge to a different network.

Incorrect settings: The Wi-Fi/LAN bridge may have incorrect settings that prevent it from working properly. Make sure that the bridge is set up correctly and that it's configured to work with the network you're trying to connect to.

Interference: Interference from other devices or networks can disrupt the connection between the Wi-Fi/LAN bridge and the network. Try moving the bridge away from other devices or networks, or adjusting the settings to reduce interference.

Outdated firmware or software: Sometimes, Wi-Fi/LAN bridges need to be updated with the latest firmware or software to work properly. Check the manufacturer's website for updates and install them if necessary.

Hardware issues: In some cases, the Wi-Fi/LAN bridge may be defective or damaged, which can prevent it from working properly. If none of the above solutions work, try replacing the bridge with a new one.

Regards,
Peter

Back
Top Bottom