Wifi inconsistency

arsenalbates

Daemon Poster
Hi, i have installed a router into a metal workshop business via adsl broadband. Router setup with username and password and wifi channel set.

After a day or so the laptop will show a red cross and wont find the network wirelessly.

Plugged into Ethernet is fine and no red lights show on router so its purly an issue with the wifi.

Now i have tried 3 different routers and all have the same issues.

And i have tried multiple channels on the wireless.

Im going to today try and put a external wifi card in the laptop to make sure that its not the inbuilt wifi playing up (however it works at home fine).

After this im asuming that it has to be something in the workshop that is interfering with the wifi signal e.g welding machines ???

Hi arsenalbates

Have you tried moving the laptop around the workshop or maybe beyond an outer wall ?, maybe you can pinpoint the interference.

Went back to check on it and the wireless switch was off on the laptop :)

unless the wireless keeps turning itself off on the laptop it does not explain previous problems. Will keep a check on it and report back.

if you open the command prompt (start run CMD)
then inside the command prompt type

netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid you'll be able to see the wireless strengths of the various signals around you.

if you can still see neighbours networks, but not your own then it's likely a router problem.

you should also try tuning the wireless off and on again, or restarting the computer to see if it's a problem with that.

finally, when you say that there is the little red cross, click on that and open the network sharing centre, then click on the adapter settings. I had a similar problem a while back when the wireless network card would just disappear and no longer be visible to the computer.

You can also check the power settings so that the computer can't turn off the wireless card to save power.

Back
Top Bottom