Wifi Card Upgrade?

Craig Prince

In Runtime
Why hello there everyone. It has indeed been quite a while since I've made a post hasn't it? Yes it has indeed. Let me progress. If you couldn't tell by the title... :rolleyes:

Recently I have moved out of my parents house, which has allowed me to get a new ISP which means - better internet. What I was wondering, is how much effect does your MBPS effect actual internet speeds? With my old ISP, I was getting approximately 1Mbps Download/0.1 Upload. With a connection speed of 144Mpbs. With my new ISP, the speeds are as followed. Connection speed is currently 450Mbps. However that is all my wifi card allows. If you'd like to know (As I'm sure some of you will ask.) my router is the following. I currently use both the 2.4Ghz and the 5Ghz connections, both are limited to 450Mbps due to the wifi card.

Any and all help will be great appreciated! :)

OOO, OOO, OOO, I got one of those routers. Gives whole new meaning to zoom zoom.
Ok the 1300mbps on the 5Ghz band is just ad hype. You'll never go that fast. Under ideal laboratory conditions, maybe.
BUT in order to get even close you'll have to have the matching wifi card or dongle. Look down at the bottom of this link.
Wireless AC - Wireless - Products - Welcome to TP-LINK
You'll need one of the dongle or internal card.

But to directly answer your question, there is a relation somewhat. If you can get the data stream out of the router into your computer and get it processed while maintaining that reference of speed, then it will be fast enough to be seen as magic. But if your connection between your computer and the router is slow, then it doesn't matter how fast your ISP is.

I'm hard wired in to mine. Gigabit on the computer and gigabit on the router. 40 down and 20 up. It's magic...
BUT
Going too fast will leave your computer waiting for the data to catch up.

How fast of an internet connection are you paying for?

The 450mbps speed you mentioned you are limited to and the 1300mbps speed the router claims it can do, is strictly the speed data could theoretically be transferred between the router and the wifi card at. You will never achieve that speed downloading from the internet. The 14.29mbps (btw, I would kill for a connection that fast) download speed you see using speedtest is determined by your ISP. Are you paying for a faster download speed? if you are paying for a 25mbps connection and only seeing 14mbps downloads then you have a beef with the ISP.

If you get the wifi adapter setishock linked to, that will not improve your internet download speed but might improve how fast you could transfer a large file to and from your computer over your network.

I would not advise buying a new wifi adapter to try and improve your download speed since the current adapter's connection speed of 450mbps is many times faster than the 14.29mbps download you are seeing so is NOT your limiting factor.

Last edited:
Again, thanks for the help on this. Now that I understand, let me further explain myself. Strollin, the situation on my ISP plan is very broken as of now. When I first started the plan, I was paying $50 a month for 25/5. Then after a couple of days, the internet went down to 15/3. When I contacted customer support, they claimed "The 25/5 plan is not available here." Well it had to be available here, OTHERWISE I never would have had it. So in a way, yes I have a beef with the ISP.

I would just hardwire my internet, however my router is on the first floor, and in the corner of the living room. And my bedroom is on the second floor... So that makes in nearly impossible to hardwire my internet. Unless I just get some 100ft Ethernet cable and drag it up the staircase. :rofl:

I understand, but getting a wifi adapter that increases your connection speed between the router and your computer from 450mbps to 1300mbps will do nothing to change the 14mbps downloads you see since the 450mbps is already 30 times faster than the download speed you are getting from the ISP.

It is doubtful that switching to a hardwired connection would improve things either since what you measured using speedtest is pretty close to the 15/3 you say your ISP is contracted to provide. If your wifi connection was flakey, dropping in and out, etc... then a new wifi adapter or going hardwired might help the situation.

Last edited:
Yeah, I understand. I'm not going to change anything. Makes me wonder now, why on earth does any router provide support download speeds above 500MBPS? Like really, if you have a router that (like Seti's and mine) that has support for 1300MBPS- there is no way that you're going to be able to take advantage of it. xD

I would just hardwire my internet, however my router is on the first floor, and in the corner of the living room. And my bedroom is on the second floor... So that makes in nearly impossible to hardwire my internet. Unless I just get some 100ft Ethernet cable and drag it up the staircase. :rofl:

Amazon.com: TP-LINK TL-PA2010KIT AV200 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, up to 200Mbps: Computers & Accessories

Not 100ft cable, just like 2x 5ft cables so you can reach the wall plug from the router, and from the wall plug to the computer. Tada. I use these, and they're great ;)

Back
Top Bottom