Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default Why am I downloading so slow?

Ok guys I go to a technical university with it's own internet servers no more than a few hundred yards from my dorm. The download speeds late and night and early in the morning are insane http://www.speedtest.net/result/1483759746.png. 46 download and 26 up with 3ms ping (it gets into the 60's and 50's often).

My problem is when I download things on my brand new Asus laptop with sandy bridge i&7 processor and 8 gigs of ram I max out at about 300 kb/s. The first week I was here (about a month ago) I would download in the 1.3 Mb/s range. My roommate has a Mac and he downloads off the same router as me at 6+ Mb/s all the time. I've tried hooking my laptop up straight to the Ethernet port in the wall and I still get the same speeds. I've downloaded files straight from Firefox, uTorrent, Steam and a few other programs and it never gets over 300 Kb/s on any of them.

What do you guys think could be the problem? Open ports? Clean register? I just got this laptop 1.5 months ago and this **** is driving me crazy.
mcgreavster is offline   Reply With Quote