What makes a good router in terms of range and power

arsenalbates

Daemon Poster
Im looking for a modem router and i usually buy TP-Link products such as the TP-Link TD-W8968 300Mbps Wireless-N ADSL2+ Modem Router | TD-W8968

Im not looking for speed as such, im more interested in the range.

Do changing the aerials make much difference in this ?

Does a router with 2 x 3dbi aerials have a better range than a router with 1 x 5dbi ?

What is the best transmit power?

What specs should i be looking for to get the best router in terms of range?

Multi antennas give a better radiated signal pattern and reception. It's called MIMO. Multi in multi out.
If you're looking for a kick ass and take names kind of horse power the TPLink access points have a range and power setting. With the range set to default and the power level maxed out I can see our signal at the restaurant 1/2 mile away. Under 50 bucks US.
Linksys also has their E line of routers that let you set a power level but the antennas are flat planars that are part of the main circuit board. Radiation pattern is a little odd but works pretty good. I maxed out the range at 270 feet through 2 cinder block walls. Under 200 bucks US.

Last edited:
Im looking for a modem router and i usually buy TP-Link products such as the TP-Link TD-W8968 300Mbps Wireless-N ADSL2+ Modem Router | TD-W8968

Im not looking for speed as such, im more interested in the range.

Do changing the aerials make much difference in this ?

Does a router with 2 x 3dbi aerials have a better range than a router with 1 x 5dbi ?

What is the best transmit power?

What specs should i be looking for to get the best router in terms of range?

if range is an issue, just buy a repeater...

I've always rated Linksys routers myself.

Also it should be noted that in terms of wireless range, positioning of the device is important. Ideally, they should be as high and as central as possible, away from radiators or sources of interference such as cordless phones and even audio speakers.

Back
Top Bottom