Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-23-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Default Way to reduce ping and latency in my situation

Hello, so I have a bit of a problem. So over the summer, my parents bought a tvpad. For those that doesn't know what that is, it's kind of like a roku or appletv that lets you steam Chinese stuff.

My parents currently use DirecTV. However, they plan to cancel the service since they can stream the latest Chinese shows.

So here's my problem. The things my parents stream are located in China. therefore, my parents user about 200kbps-300kbps, and even though they don't use our full internet speed, they increase my ping and latency while gaming online (to a point where I get 2000 ping).

Is there a way where they can watch their tvpad, and I can play my online games with playable ping and latency? All or devices are hooked up via ethernet.

I am currently subscribed to century link with 7mbps/895kbps speed.

Thanks in advance.

Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
In Runtime
Default Re: Way to reduce ping and latency in my situation

Other than getting a separate service, I see no way out of your problem. Perhaps someone else can help.

i7-3930K - Corsair H100 push/pull fans - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme - 4 x 4GB G.Skill DDR3 2133 - 2 x EVGA GTX680s in SLI - OS, 256GB Samsung 830 SSD - Games, 256GB Crucial M4 SSD - Antec TPC 1200W - Dell 27" IPS 2560x1440 - APC XS1500 UPS - Win7 Ultimate x64
OS-Wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
Beta Member

Sounds like the streaming is saturating your broadband link. If you have options on the compression format used for the streaming then choose a format that takes up less bandwidth. If this is not possible then try for a faster broadband connection. You could always try QoS if your router supports it but to provide priority for your gaming could then impact on the streaming. It is all a question of bandwidth and not having enough of it to do what you want to do.
IPexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
Wizard of Wires

If they're paying the bils and you're living in their house, you are just going to have to deal with it. Play when they're not online. It's called compromising.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
In Runtime

^^^Agree 100%
I hope that the world runs out of oil today so we can build a world free of hate and greed and money. Build one based on love and respect for all forms of life.
WYSIWUG is offline   Reply With Quote