VNC Troubles

avgjoe22

Baseband Member
Okay, I was having trouble using directX and OpenGL to work, and now they do.

BUT there is a problem remains: HOW TO USE IT AT SCHOOL!

I am using TightVNC to access my PC from school - and the default port configuration is

MAIN: 5900
HTTP: 5800

It doesn't work when I have it on 5900 for main, it just shows the page header/footer and a blank screen.

This leads me to believe that they have ports that are blocked.

Then, I set it to:

MAIN: 80
HTTP: 5800

and tried it, and got red X in one computer lab, and the applet loads on the macs.

I found out that the other computers just don't have java, and the macs do - plus the macs don't block ports.

The Windows XP lab does contain java-enabled computers, and i know this because I've seen kids play RuneScape (java!) and I have used java applets.

BUT I can't log in on the macs when MAIN is on Port 80, so....

Help?

I need a port that will not be blocked, but WILL let me through.

Any Ideas?

well there is lots of ports u could try. Just find a program that can connect and then use google to find the port that it uses. A good one to try is 88, also 82 I think.

I run RealVNC and I am using the ports in the 5900 range just fine. You need to make sure, if you are using a router that the port are being forwarded and that also if you are using windowsxp you want to make sure that the service is started and that the windows firewall is not stopping it, which you can specify in the firewall execeptions tab. But 5900 should not have any problem so i would check your computer and/or router and not blame the port.

Back
Top Bottom