Virtual Private Network HELP...

gabel1

Baseband Member
I know how to create a virtual private network but i don't know exactly how they work. For example, i connected the a server at school and it connected successfully but what do i do from there? am i supposed to see shared folders? could someone please explain how this works? thanks.

A virtual private network basically means that you are a part of the network thay you connected to...

For example, John Doe connects to his company's network via VPN from home. As of that moment, all internet activity goes through the company instead of his home. By connecting via VPN, John can access company-related files that are not for public access (such as downloads and web pages), have his computer registered in the company's domain, access his files on the company's network, etc.

" A Virtual Private Network, or VPN, is a private communications network usually used within a company, or by several different companies or organizations, to communicate over a public network. VPN message traffic is carried on public networking infrastructure (e.g. the Internet) using standard (often insecure) protocols, or over a service provider's network providing VPN service guarded by well defined Service Level Agreement (SLA) between the VPN customer and the VPN service provider. "

Quoted from Wikipedia.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VPN

Enjoy :)

Back
Top Bottom