Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-11-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
Beta Member
Default Verizon FIOS and new build

Hello All,
Here's the skinny:
I have FIOS with the provided Actiontec router in my basement. There's an ethernet connection to my PC. The signal is decent throughout most of the house, but on the top floor, not so much. I'd like to build my son a PC and want him to have good 'net access in his room (top floor). I've done some research and found this as a possible solution:

Amazon.com: Actiontec Ethernet over Coax MoCA Adapter - Single: Electronics

Before I fork out the cash, I want to make sure it will do the following:
He currently has a cable drop in his room with a STB (no HD, just has a crappy old 13" TV right now). I'd like to hook up the ECB2200 to the coax and then hook the STB to a tuner card in the new PC (thus, eliminating the need for a separate TV).

So, will this provide connection to the internet without the need for another router? Or am I missing a component? I've tried an extender, but it does not play well with the Actiontec (been through the manufacturer's help desk as well as Verizon with no luck). I think I'd prefer hardwire anyway. Networking just isn't my bag!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

willyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
Daemon Poster
Default Re: Verizon FIOS and new build

Why not just a stronger wireless adapter or a wireless adapter with a directional antenna?

PC: AMD Phenom 9950 2.6ghz Quad Core, ATI Radeon HD 5770, 8gb DDR2 RAM
Phone: Apple iPhone 5s 64gb (jailbroken)
Handheld Games: Nintendo 3DS XL, Tapwave Zodiac 2, GamePark Holdings GP2X F100
Legodude522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
Fully Optimized
Default Re: Verizon FIOS and new build

willyhere, your post is a little confusing. Why are you talking about signal issues on a hard wire line? I can read more into it and assume that you want to run other systems off of a wireless connection, but I want to know exactly what you're doing.

You're also going BACKWARDS if you want to rely on cable (COAX) for networking. I know that the current generation of cable modems and such can deliver DOCSIS 3 speeds of 50 Mbps or more, but you'll be limiting the network for everything else if you build it with Coax. You're better off getting a spool of ethernet and running a new line yourself than trying to rely on a cable that wasn't made to handle high density traffic.

Alternatively, you can pick up a good 802.11n Wireless router and stop using the sub-par unit that Actiontec bundles with their hardware (and believe me, it IS inferior...)
Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote