USB vs PCI

StratosP

Fully Optimized
I can't decide what I should get..which one is better? I would prefer an 802.11n which I am getting soon but stick with the USB vs PCI argument in my head.
Also, anyone know any good brands?

Belkin
Netgear
Linksys
D-Link
or another..

well bekin seem quite cheap and tacky to me, but usually get the job done. linksys and d link both seem ok, but never really had a lot of experience with both. had the most experience with netgear and i like them, so id choose them.

Yeah Netgear seems pretty good.

Also:

USB

Pros: Portable, cheaper, some have faster signal than PCI.
Cons: Higher risk of breaking since it is portable, sometimes not as a big of signal and PCI and also you need a case that has USB ports in good places.

PCI
Pros: Has an antenna for extra signal. Out of the way.
Cons: Not portable, not good for some people with 2+ story houses and/or desks.

Any other pros/cons I missed?

i have had experience with all of those brands various networking products and the best one IMO is linksys

anyway i would get a usb wireless adaptor because if you get a bad signal you can always get a usb extension cable which are cheaply available and move the usb adaptor around to get the best signal thats what i used to do with my usb wi-fi adaptor then when i got a new build i got a pci adaptor and i dont really get better signal over the usb adaptor

i have had experience with all of those brands various networking products and the best one IMO is linksys

anyway i would get a usb wireless adaptor because if you get a bad signal you can always get a usb extension cable which are cheaply available and move the usb adaptor around to get the best signal thats what i used to do with my usb wi-fi adaptor then when i got a new build i got a pci adaptor and i dont really get better signal over the usb adaptor

I agree. Never tried a linksys though. Should I get an N wireless USB adapter from them? Or stick with Netgear?

ive never had any problem with netgear either but i havent used many wireless products of theirs , only a wi-fi pci adaptor a while back but i would go with them if your happy with them

I borrowed a D-Link WUA-2340 USB and it was horrible. It got good signal on my old P4 Computer (USB 1.1) and when I switched it to my computer I build for my Dad with Vista and USB 2.0 slots, horrible. I was always at 2 bar's according to the Vista wireless manager and the D-Link software doesn't really like Vista. If one day overheated and told my Dad it burnt out. Told him to go to microcenter and buy a PCI one, didn't specify on brand, and he got a completely no name brand. Put it in the computer, installed the drivers, and 5 bar's in Vista.

Considering the PCI card was only $20 its great, and I get great speeds off it. My main computer that is connected to Ethernet to the modem gets 20K download and 4K upload on speedtest,net and my Dad's computer gets 15K download and 3K upload.

For me, I will only go with PCI cards for desktops and leave the USB's for laptops.

I've had a D-Link too and it wasn't as good as the Netgear. Also I've heard it's probably the worst brand.

Well which one is it, Netgear or Linksys?

Do you already have a wireless 'n' router? I set-up a wireless 'n' from D-Link for a friend and it was super easy not to mention works great. However this is not the subject. I would have to say you should get the adapter for whatever brand your router is. I have figured, from experience, that it tends to work better.

My dad wants to get a new N router and I want to get a new N wireless adapter.
So which brand should we get. Linksys or Netgear?
Jogabinto1502, I understand that not all hardware made by the company is bad, sorry if I put it in the wrong way, I meant that I'd prefer a Netgear from personal experience or a Linksys which seems to be the best brand to everyone else.

Atm I'm thinking of getting a USB N adapter from either Netgear or Linksys. But the router im not so sure about.

Back
Top Bottom