Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-10-2007, 08:04 AM   #1
Solid State Member

Unhappy Unable to Connect to Another XP Computer

I'm unable to connect to another XP Computer on my home network using \\computername. On the PC that will not allow the connection, Iím currently logged in with an account that is password protected and is an Admin. I reran the Network Setup Wizard and also repaired the Network Connection. Hereís the error message I receive on the PC that is trying to connect: Windows cannot find ď\\xpí. Check the spelling and try again, or try searching for the item by clicking the Start button and then clicking Search. However, I can PING the computer called XP but canít connect to it. The XP PC can connect to other computers on the network but will not let other connect to it. Dose anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

cnbhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz
Default Re: Unable to Connect to Another XP Computer

Have you got a password protected account on both pcs? Have you tried disabling the firewall, are both pcs on the same domain?

Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
Solid State Member

Both PC's have a password protected account. My work laptop (XP Pro) is unable to connect to my desktop (XP Pro). However, the Desktop PC can connect to the work laptop without any problems. I've tried turning off the firewall on the Desktop PC and the Laptop is still unable to connect.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:36 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Have you tried logging into both computers with the same username and password?
Old 06-10-2007, 02:42 PM   #5
Solid State Member

In the past, I've been able to connect the Laptop to my Desktop computer without removing the Laptop from the Domain. So I'm not sure what setting is incorrect on the Desktop thats not allowing the laptop to connect. The Desktop PC can connect to the Laptop and has access the the shared folders and both PC's are not in the same workgroup.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:10 PM   #6
Solid State Member

The laptop can not find the desktop computer on the network when typing \\xp. I get the following error message: Windows cannot find “\\xp’. Check the spelling and try again, or try searching for the item by clicking the Start button and then clicking Search.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:34 PM   #7
Golden Master

can you not access it through explorer by going to my network places in the left pane??
Old 06-10-2007, 03:48 PM   #8
Solid State Member

My Desktop computer is not listed under My Network Places nor is it listed when I try searching the Entire Network
Old 06-10-2007, 05:19 PM   #9
Golden Master

Are they both a member of the same workgroup, have they both got a different computer name? Have you tried rebooting them both and checking again?
Old 06-11-2007, 06:30 PM   #10
Solid State Member

My desktop computer is in a workgroup and my laptop is joined to a domain at work. However, my desktop computer can connect to the laptop once I provide the username (domain\username) and password. I just can't get the laptop to connect to the desktop computer. I've tried connecting to the desktop using the IP Address and still can't connect. I've also disabled the Windows Firewall.