trying to encrypt my wireless network

oldflyingfarmer

Solid State Member
Need some help. I am pretty new to this.
I have a desktop wired to my router. I have a notebook with wireless capabilities. Both run XP. Both will connect unencrypted. I have bought an usb wireless adapter for my desktop. I would like to make desktop wireless and put encryption in place on the entire network, but I need a step by step with good directions for a weak mind. Any help appreciated.
thanks

read up on WEP security for wireless routers. In the configuration settings of the router, there should/will be a place for you to enable WEP and give it a key. Select 128 bit WEP security and put in 26 characters using a combination of 1-9 & A-F, or use the passphrase option for the router to create a key for you. Either way ... once you have the key created and WEP enabled ... you will then need to input them in your wireless units (laptops) along with your SSID information to connect.

Why would you want to connect your desktop wireless if you already had a wired connection? If your close to the router you should go with a wired connection its more secure, faster and more reliable. You sholuld only connect wireless when you are unable to run wire or your too far from the router

Thanks for the response. I am using a satellite internet connection. My house was prewired for it and my modem is not close to where I use the desktop computer. I ran a temporary cable across the floor and have now put the desktop wireless to the router that is in a different location.
thanks

I have heard that using wep can slow down your connection and can cause periodic disconnecting , but its necessary

Back
Top Bottom