Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-16-2011, 03:19 PM   #11
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23
Send a message via AIM to maverick0923 Send a message via MSN to maverick0923 Send a message via Yahoo to maverick0923
Default Re: Tracing IP Address to my house?

I think the authorities would actually contact your ISP immediately if they need to know your location. I'm not sure if they have anyone that is knowledgeable in tracing the IP maybe the FBI, not sure.
__________________

maverick0923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #12
BSOD
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 582
Default Re: Tracing IP Address to my house?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick0923 View Post
I think the authorities would actually contact your ISP immediately if they need to know your location. I'm not sure if they have anyone that is knowledgeable in tracing the IP maybe the FBI, not sure.
They mention IP tracking on kick ass the film.
__________________

clacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #13
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23
Send a message via AIM to maverick0923 Send a message via MSN to maverick0923 Send a message via Yahoo to maverick0923
Default Re: Tracing IP Address to my house?

lol i never saw it.
maverick0923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #14
In Runtime
 
Chipeater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 364
Default Re: Tracing IP Address to my house?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clacker View Post
Can the authorities find where you live via your IP adress?
Not if you use a proxy server.
Chipeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #15
BSOD
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 582
Default Re: Tracing IP Address to my house?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipeater View Post
Not if you use a proxy server.
Yes I use a proxy server at school sometimes to get on facebook.
clacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #16
Fully Optimized
 
~Darkseeker~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,494
Default Re: Tracing IP Address to my house?

your LAN has an IP address that is visable from outside of your network, called a Public IP. This is assigned by your ISP when you set up your internet connection or ISDN line. However, all of the computers on your network will have their own individual IPs called private IPs (eg. 192.168.1.2)

your router's ip is public, and therefore can be anything, depending on your ISP and when you recieved the static IP (eg. 200.56.1.2)

if i told you my pc's IP address (currently 192.168.0.6) you wouldnt be able to do anything, since several million PCs will have the same private address. Anything i do on the internet will leave my router's IP as a kind of signature, showing where it came from. This is actually quiet scarily easy to find out if you dont reach the things you agree to on the internet.

e.g. i believe on CF, our IPs are visable to those who are allowed to see them. This means that people cant make multiple spam accounts from one location.
__________________
EVGA SLI Micro Z68 // Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz // 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz // Overclocked ASUS GTX 660 Ti // Corsair Carbide SPEC-03 // Kingston Hyper-X 120GB // 2TB WD Green + 500GB WD Black
#JC4PM
~Darkseeker~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #17
Fully Optimized
 
cboucher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,652
Default Re: Tracing IP Address to my house?

The only people with the resources to get your ISP to hand over your personal information are law enforcement types. Unless you're doing something really illegal on the internet you won't get tracked to your home by your IP address.
__________________
But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.
cboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:59 AM   #18
In Runtime
 
Chipeater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 364
Default Re: Tracing IP Address to my house?

If you are using a proxy server, CF or anyone else is going to see the IP of the proxy server instead of the IP from your ISP. You can also prevent your ISP from seeing what you are doing on the internet with the use of a proxy server.
Chipeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:16 AM   #19
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,003
Default Re: Tracing IP Address to my house?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Darkseeker~ View Post
your LAN has an IP address that is visable from outside of your network, called a Public IP. This is assigned by your ISP when you set up your internet connection or ISDN line. However, all of the computers on your network will have their own individual IPs called private IPs (eg. 192.168.1.2)

your router's ip is public, and therefore can be anything, depending on your ISP and when you recieved the static IP (eg. 200.56.1.2)

if i told you my pc's IP address (currently 192.168.0.6) you wouldnt be able to do anything, since several million PCs will have the same private address. Anything i do on the internet will leave my router's IP as a kind of signature, showing where it came from. This is actually quiet scarily easy to find out if you dont reach the things you agree to on the internet.

e.g. i believe on CF, our IPs are visable to those who are allowed to see them. This means that people cant make multiple spam accounts from one location.
we all know that RFC1918 addresses are used tens of hundreds of times over, they are a private range, not externally routable, that's the whole point of RFC 1918, but your private address doesn't matter.

It's not really your private IP that anyone is interested in your external/public address that's going to be leading people to your house.

there may be some confusion over who has written whatever illegal materials from whatever computer, but to be fair, when you're joining in anonops or some crap like that who do they really think is going to be doing that? your mum? your dad? little sister maybe? or you??

and even if you think that you're completely fine in school then think again.
lots of places log web traffic on proxy servers (yes your school is likely to have a proxy server, that's probably what they are using to block your traffic).
some places even log connections on the firewall.

so when the "feds" do come knocking at your school principals door your schools IT people are likely to already have all the information ready and waiting to give to them.


Typically however, it would take some kind of police involvement for your ip address to lead someone to your actual home. (but not necessarily a warrant).

however, as I said in my last post, with the goolge street car having gone around, the world now tapping into any unsecured network and recording the SSID and that ip etc to build a more accurate geo-location map. there's a reasonable chance that the kind of information that could lead someone to your street is already out there. in the public domain.


and yes for this forum (and likely any other), mods and admins can see peoples IP addresses but that's limitted to the address that you signed up from, and the addresses that you make posts from, if you just come on and lurk that info would be recorded on the webserver logs (visible to admins not mods), but would not be stored in the forum database -visible to mods and admin.

we have/do/will use IP's to ban accounts that appear to come from multiple places (we do research first to make sure it's not a school).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipeater View Post
If you are using a proxy server, CF or anyone else is going to see the IP of the proxy server instead of the IP from your ISP. You can also prevent your ISP from seeing what you are doing on the internet with the use of a proxy server.
If you are using a proxy server to view CF then typically we will see the proxy server, (though that depends if the proxy is transparant of not).
but... don't think that the proxy server owner won't be keeping any log files.

if you do or say something wrong/illegal somewhere then it'll get traced to that proxy server, that proxy server may then hold the details that lead that action directly back to you.
__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #20
In Runtime
 
Chipeater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 364
Default Re: Tracing IP Address to my house?

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
[...]If you are using a proxy server to view CF then typically we will see the proxy server, (though that depends if the proxy is transparant of not).
but... don't think that the proxy server owner won't be keeping any log files.

if you do or say something wrong/illegal somewhere then it'll get traced to that proxy server, that proxy server may then hold the details that lead that action directly back to you.
Yes, that is true. I was thinking of anonymity, rather than concealing illegal activity. Clearly, proxy server sites, for their own protection, maintain log files.
__________________

Chipeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0