Toshiba Vista Satellite laptop doesn't like to share switch

wa2ise

Solid State Member
I have an old Linksys switch, a EZXS55W 5 port. but after several hours my Toshiba laptop Satellite (Vista) looses its network connection, if there is something else sharing this switch. Also happens if I use an old D-link router set up as a switch. But a more modern Linksys BESR41 router, set up as a switch, this problem doesn't happen. These switches/routers connect to a Linksys LV016 router, which is set to do DHCP, assigning IP addresses.
Aside from the obvious "forget using this antique junk (the Linksys switch and the Dlink router)", any suggestions on how to make the laptop play nice? IE, not lose its connection to the network.

Is there any particular reason that you have it setup this way? Could you draw a quick diagram showing what this looks like?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Forums

Though I had my doubts (and may still be proven wrong!), seems that replacing a few electrolytic capacitors in the EZXS55W switch's power section (inside the switch's case, not the wall wart) seems to have solved this problem. It's been running a few days now, before it would always hang after a day or so. That bad caps can cause the power to the chips to sag and confuse the processors, making them hang. Or maybe an update from Micro$oft fixed some issue in Vista.

Back
Top Bottom