Temporary extension from wall outlet

Giordano Bruno

Solid State Member
I wish to redecorate my study and move all my computer equipment to an adjacent room. I can remove two back-to-back power points to give me access to the other room. My plan is to run a new cable from the wall outlet through the hole in the wall to the new temporary office (about 5m). Does anyone know what cable I should buy to do this. my connexion is NBN fibre to the node.

What kind of jack is at the wall outlet? I'd use that kind of cable, since there'd be fewer connection points. Assuming it's ethernet, and that you have crazy fast fiber internet, i'd use CAT 6A ethernet. If you have a speed less than 500Mbit, a Cat 5e ethernet cable should be sufficient.

As Cortb said, use the same cable currently in use.

As far as Ethernet, since it's temporary and a very short run (5m), it's doubtful that it would make any difference whether you used CAT5 or CAT6, especially for speeds under 1Gbit.

To be fair, you'd need a particularly crappy cable to give you issues at 1gbps at distances of only 5m, I've had cables I've cut in half, twisted bare ends together and insulated with cellotape not have problems on such short runs.

Thanks for the replies, Cortb, strollin and root and please excuse my ignorance. I believe that I have not explained the problem properly. I wish to extend the wire that comes from the initial point of entry into the house. This, I think, is a coaxial cable with a threaded termination that screws into the wall outlet. The other end screws into the back of an Arris CM8200 modem. The output from this modem is an Ethernet cable, but the cable I wish to extend is the thing that looks like a coaxial cable. Can I just buy a length of coaxial cable with threaded terminations or is there something special about this cable?

If you have a cable modem then you'll be getting HFC not FTTN. You'll be able to get great speeds and even gigabit once they launch Docsis 3.1 next year. Image below will you show how your connection will be.

nbnâ„¢ Hybrid Fibre Coaxial - NBNCo

1730100_HFC_Supplied%20equipment%20diagram2.jpg

Can I just buy a length of coaxial cable with threaded terminations or is there something special about this cable?
Yes, any length of coaxial cable will do, for only five meters don't worry too much about cable impedance either. Feel free to buy either 50ohm or (ideally) 75ohm coax cable.

The connectors on the end are called "f connectors" you buy the loose.

Cut the outside insulation off the cable. Peel back the earth braid so it sits on top of the cable, then cut away the inside insulation so the middle core sticks out.
The f connection then screws onto the cable, the screw bit goes over the earth shield that you put over the outside insulation. The centre wire forms the centre pin of the cable connection.

You can buy a pre made cable in various lengths also. Try your local Walmart etc in the satellite to section.

Hi BK 123. That looks something like what I have, but I don't have any power cable. As far as speed is concerned, I'm on a 25Mbits plan which means that my absolute maximum speed at any time is about 10Mbits, but I can live with that.

Thanks for that advice root. It's only temporary but I'll see what I can get from the shop. There may not be a choice. At least I now know what to buy and what to do. Your help is much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom