Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #11
Baseband Member

Default Re: Switch vs. Router

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry120 View Post
Why not? Like most things in the computing world they have their place!
Um...no...Imagine your running 4 servers for video connected to a POS switch....your speeds would blow chunks. I would never use them ever unless it was the only thing I had and I needed to share an internet connection.

x2 Linksys WRT54G
x1 linksys wireless g notebook card
Nateo200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:57 PM   #12
Site Team

OK fair enough I was overlooking the fact that you can pick up an unmanaged switch for near enough the same price now! Back in the day when they were a fair bit cheaper, I had one running perfectly happily between a couple of low traffic PCs I was using for one thing or another - can't remember the specifics (we're talking over 10 years ago) but the key words were BUDGET CONSCIOUS and VERY LOW TRAFFIC. If I was getting one nowadays then yes, I'd go for a switch without a doubt.

Quote:
Um...no...Imagine your running 4 servers for video connected to a POS switch....your speeds would blow chunks. I would never use them ever unless it was the only thing I had and I needed to share an internet connection.
That would of course be silly, but I said they have their place, not they have their place managing the packets for 4 highly demanding video servers

berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #13
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry120 View Post
OK fair enough I was overlooking the fact that you can pick up an unmanaged switch for near enough the same price now! Back in the day when they were a fair bit cheaper, I had one running perfectly happily between a couple of low traffic PCs I was using for one thing or another - can't remember the specifics (we're talking over 10 years ago) but the key words were BUDGET CONSCIOUS and VERY LOW TRAFFIC. If I was getting one nowadays then yes, I'd go for a switch without a doubt.

That would of course be silly, but I said they have their place, not they have their place managing the packets for 4 highly demanding video servers
I mean in my house the network traffic is pretty crazy so a hub would kill all my hopes and dreams. Seriously I have an xbox360 and I download allot of demos and videos (1gb+) I also have my PC setup as a video server for my house and In the days when I ran it as an FTP file server for video downloads and video game ISO's I would have mortified my network. If there was a huge price gap I could understand but now it's hardly neccesary as you stated. Plus I have 5 other laptops in the house that all suck from two different APs....
x2 Linksys WRT54G
Old 08-05-2009, 02:09 AM   #14
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to TitanMATRIX

haha ok ok I get the differences between the three ... the first time.

Oh and Nateo200... in your sig it says "Network nut job here! I love messing with my wireless network at home, strange I know....." That isn't strange, I love messing around with networking. I'll look up IP's for DHCP servers, gateways, subnets, etc... just for fun! Computer networking is just really really interesting to me That is unless we are both weird... hmmmm.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:24 PM   #15
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMATRIX View Post
haha ok ok I get the differences between the three ... the first time.

Oh and Nateo200... in your sig it says "Network nut job here! I love messing with my wireless network at home, strange I know....." That isn't strange, I love messing around with networking. I'll look up IP's for DHCP servers, gateways, subnets, etc... just for fun! Computer networking is just really really interesting to me That is unless we are both weird... hmmmm.
Haha i got my friend addicted and my friends dad is like head of IT or something at some company so his home network is like a playground....I kind
of want to be a network architect when I'm older now.
x2 Linksys WRT54G
Old 08-05-2009, 07:18 PM   #16
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to TitanMATRIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateo200 View Post
Haha i got my friend addicted and my friends dad is like head of IT or something at some company so his home network is like a playground....I kind
of want to be a network architect when I'm older now.
I'm wanting to go Network Warfare Officer in the Air Force here... So you can build them, and I will destroy them! hahaha
Old 08-06-2009, 12:59 AM   #17
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMATRIX View Post
I'm wanting to go Network Warfare Officer in the Air Force here... So you can build them, and I will destroy them! hahaha
That's sounds like a fun job actually....

x2 Linksys WRT54G