static route disconnected my server

Dav path

Beta member
Hi,

I got a question

I recently needed to add a static route into a windows server for it to communicate with an specific infrastructure environment. I have always added static routes without any issues previously, but somehow this one made the server to disconnect and no longer communicate (remote desktop was no longer available and the application hosted on the server was not communicating as well, so in other words the network communication was broken)

the server had the ip "10.250.115.21" and I added the static route
"route add -p 10.196.12.12 mask 255.255.255.0 10.250.115.1"
(route add -p "ip address" mask "- "gateway")

and right after I entered this route, the server froze and I was no longer able to connect through remote desktop, and the network communication was broken.

so...my question is: can a static route make this happen?
I know that by deleting a static route may cause this (if the wrong is deleted)

but may this occur by just "adding" the wrong static route?
since I always thought that the worst thing that could happen when adding the wrong static route is to receive a message that the syntax is incorrect or that the scope is not supported by the specific network environment.

please let me know if I was the one who screwed the communication of the server by adding the wrong static route or if it was just coincidence that happened :)

cheers:)

Yes it can, usually the problem is you put the wrong DNS in.

I don't think that it's a DNS related thing. Windows keeps a cache of DNS lookups, so if it was a DNS problem then I doubt that he would be instantly disconnected.

I don't think it's DNS related either.

adding a route just tells your traffic to route through an alternative interface or an alternative gateway for a certain range.

adding a route alters the routing table, not the DNS settings.

it's got absolutely bugger all to do with DNS settings.

The command that you typed was perfectly valid.
I would imagine that adding a route did cause the drop in connectivity as other traffic was also routed through this alternative gateway. however, without a much better/more detailed description of the various subnets that you have set up, and the gateways the amount of NICs in the machine etc, there's not a lot more than anyone can really do to assist.

Back
Top Bottom