Spliting My Internet Cable

Dishdog

Fully Optimized
OK i have rogers high speed internet (Cable). My internet is not run on the same tv cable line as my cable for the TV because of Interference on the line.

So i have one cable line fot TV cable and one for just internet cable. Now my question is this, can i still use a TV cable spilter to to move the internet around my house? Only one computer would be hook up to the internet cable line at anytime.

eh I didn't really understand your question that well BUT, a TV spliter would mostly likely degrade the signal. If you want internet else where in your house and want mulitple computers online at the same time, go pick yourself up a cable/DSL NAT router and share away.

I think I understand the question you are asking. Yes you could get a splitter and have the cable go to other locations , where you would have to take the cable modem to each room . If you purchased a wireless router and wireless network cards then you would not need to take the modem.

make sure the splitter can handle at least 5-1000mhz, thats the range most cable providers operate at.

user12 said:
eh I didn't really understand your question that well BUT, a TV spliter would mostly likely degrade the signal. If you want internet else where in your house and want mulitple computers online at the same time, go pick yourself up a cable/DSL NAT router and share away.

I already said that only one computer would be hooked up at a time.

I'm not trying to hookup multi modems. You know how you have cable TV jacks all over your house, well thats what i'm trying to do but just with like 2 rooms so that i would only have to use one splitter.

The reason i'm trying to do this is the internet connection is currently run upstairs to my family room, where the modem and my router is. then i have a 50' ethernet cable coming down to my room downstairs. I would rather have the router down here so that i can hook up my computer on PS2 to it also and troubleshoot when crap goes wrong with it. To get the router down here means to bring the modem too so i need the connection down here, but I would like to keep the connection upstairs too.

Where the internet cable comes in is right by my room downstairs, so i want to cut the cable, add a connector on each end i just cut, stick a splitter in and then still have the wire run upstairs. So basically where there is one straight line going upstairs, i want to stick a splitter in part way along the line so that i can run a second wire off the splitter to my room and still have the wire upsatirs.

This is kinda hard to explain,lol. If you have any questions just ask and i'll try and explain. If need i'll make a diagram,lol.

<EDIT> Just to add no wireless.

Back
Top Bottom