Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-04-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Sometimes internet wont load webpages but torrent programs continue dowloading?

Hi,
My building manager is always getting complaints from tennants about the internet when it stops working. We have internet for the entire building I live in. Sometimes the internet stops loading webpages but I guess I'm still connected because torrents continue to run. My building manager suspects one of the tennants is distrupting the connection from time to time by hacking it. Any solutions to this? How is it happening that web pages stop working when torrets continue to run?

happygoluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
Solid State Member

Default Re: Sometimes internet wont load webpages but torrent programs continue dowloading?

it sounds to me like a firewall or network node is blocking some of your important ports but not others, atleast thats where i would start

ABanzhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:31 PM   #3
Baseband Member

Default Re: Sometimes internet wont load webpages but torrent programs continue dowloading?

Hi, the internet works sometimes and othert times it doesnt so I dont think it can be a firewall problem beacuse of that. I'm not sure what nodes are but this is what msn troubleshoot shows:
-Host files
-dns
-key ports

Also when I cant connect I know that other computers cant connect because I've asked my building manager, she thinks someone is causing a disturbance.
Once again I dont understand why I can run my torrents but not load internet sites and its a recuring problem I hope can work out.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:41 PM   #4
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Odds are your torrents are eating all the bandwidth and not letting anyone else connect. Stop torrenting and see what happens.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

^That's actually a really good suggestion. See what happens if you do that and post back the results.
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #6
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
Odds are your torrents are eating all the bandwidth and not letting anyone else connect. Stop torrenting and see what happens.
Ok, I cant test right now; stoping torrents to see if I will then be able to surf webpages because right now webpages are working full blast and my torrents are loading fine. That may mean that torrents arent affecting my webpage surfing.
I though there was a clear explanation for torrents working and not webpages but I guess its a unique predicament.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:57 PM   #7
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to TitanMATRIX

Other people torrenting in your building can be another cause. But like what MSN said "key ports" makes me think that some ports are being blocked somehow and your DNS is messed up which might explain why it can't load pages.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:35 AM   #8
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMATRIX View Post
Other people torrenting in your building can be another cause. But like what MSN said "key ports" makes me think that some ports are being blocked somehow and your DNS is messed up which might explain why it can't load pages.
I was able to test if me running torrents caused web pages to stop loading and its not that. It may be that others are connected and downlaoding and that I cant run web pages.
Right now its working but somedays for a few hours pages just stop loading. I dont change anything in my configuration from when it works or doesnt so it may just be the line is overlaoded.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:08 AM   #9
Fully Optimized

What speed do you guys have from the ISP and how many people are using it? Does it occur around the same time everyday or when everyone seems to be in the building? I doubt that someone hacks it for a few hours and then puts it back to normal and then hacks it for a few hours another day....that just doesn't seem to make sense.
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
I was able to test if me running torrents caused web pages to stop loading and its not that. It may be that others are connected and downlaoding and that I cant run web pages.
If it's just you running torrents then I'm not surprised it didn't have any effect - but when *everyone* is torrenting then it's a completely different story. To test that theory properly you're going to have to try it with a lot of people torrenting at once, not just you.

Course, it might not be that at all, but until you've tried you don't know

berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote