Someone is stealing my internet.

Scubadivingpoop1

Beta member
So i recently came up the CMD command net view to see who is using the internet, i would randomly check it to see if someone is actually using my wifi without my permission. So tonight when i tried it i noticed that there was a new device that i've never seen before named POWER-PC. How do i get rid of this guy. I dont know much about computers so im not exactly a wizard but can use some help.

WEP is fairly easy to crack but WPA is more secure and WPA2 is solid. Just about all router support WPA2. Did you set up encyption when you set up your router? If not, go to your address bar and type in the URL: 192.168.0.1 which should take you to your router settings. leave the password field blank and go to wireless settings and create a password for your network. If you want even more control you can set up access control and speifically block your neighbor but that wouldnt really be necessary if you just create a network password. Let me know if that helps at all.

WEP is fairly easy to crack but WPA is more secure and WPA2 is solid. Just about all router support WPA2. Did you set up encyption when you set up your router? If not, go to your address bar and type in the URL: 192.168.0.1 which should take you to your router settings. leave the password field blank and go to wireless settings and create a password for your network. If you want even more control you can set up access control and speifically block your neighbor but that wouldnt really be necessary if you just create a network password. Let me know if that helps at all.

You are making too many assumptions about their router config.

OP: Your router's address might not be 192.168.0.1. To find it, open up cmd and type in "ipconfig /all" (without the quotes). Then look for the Default Gateway. That will be your router's IP address. Type that into your browser and it should bring you to the config page for your router. Then enter the username and password (it could be anything really, but the default is probably something like username: "admin", password:"admin" or a blank password. Try a few different combinations, and if you can't figure it out, you can either look in your router's manual or look online for it).

Once you've logged into your router's config page, definitely look for the security settings and make your password use WPA2 encryption if possible. If the highest encryption your router supports is WEP, then I'd recommend turning on MAC address filtering. MAC address filtering requires a little more work to connect new devices, but it prevents anything connecting that you haven't specifically allowed. If you can't increase your password's security, post back and someone can probably explain MAC filtering a little better.

Actually i have my wireless SSID hidden with WEP2 AES password.

WEP2? Did you mean WPA2?

That's very strange that someone would take that much time to hack into your network then. Did you give anyone your SSID and password who could have connected another computer or anything?

If not, I would enable MAC address filtering and change the password.

The MAC address is the physical address of a computer (stored on the network interface card) that stays the same for each specific computer. MAC filtering tells the router what specific computers can connect to your network and blocks out anyone else who tries. You just have to go to your router settings, find mac filtering, and enter your mac address and the mac addresses of any other computers you want to allow on your network. To find your computers MAC address type in "ipconfig/all" in your command prompt and look for where it says "physical address". Just copy the number down in filtering list and you're good to go! Like lee said though I'd still change your password

Stupid question, did you change the admin password on your router? This password is different from the WPA key. Also, do not make them the same.

Back
Top Bottom