Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-24-2006, 10:36 AM   #1
Solid State Member

Default Socket Errors GALORE!

Okay, I'm stuck. After a whole weekend of reading microsoft help pages, I'm no closer to figuring out what's going on.

Here's the deal. I work for a very small ISP. I'm the tech guy. When the tech guy is stumped, I think something must be pretty serious. Computer comes in, giving me all kinds of svchost errors. After a long time of trying to solve that one, I finally do a repair re-install of the OS, preserving personal files etc.

Not long after the reinstall I find myself sitting in front of a 10061 error, failed to connect to port 25 on smtp. Looking around proves pointless. Firewalls are turned off, multiple ISP's are used (other than my own ISP) to see if it's us and a weird fluke. Nothing... works. I'm stuck...

... Really stuck.

Today I get two phone calls from people experiencing the same thing. 10061 error. Is there something new out there, a virus or something that's locking ports 25 and 110 and all the other ports that AVG, Spybot, Ad-Aware, Norton etc. are trying to use to get updates? I've tried everything in my repertoire, hijack this, manual registry snooping about, telnetting, reinstalling TCP/IP, reinstalling drivers... and so on and so forth. Please help. I am feeling really stupid.

ajrutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 12:34 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to RewtGuy
Default Re: Socket Errors GALORE!

well if you go through all the software and you're able to rule out a fault in the software maybe it's a problem in the hardware? maybe try swapping out NIC or something? maybe try setting up a small network with a server hosting smtp on port 25 and trying to connect to it through a network instead of going through your isp. good luck.

Windows: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.
RewtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:25 PM   #3
Solid State Member

I just got another computer into the fray, exact same issue.

My boss and I both are beginning to think that a brand new virus is on the field. Is anyone else encountering similar issues, or have experience in hunting down viruses that anti-viruses can't detect?
ajrutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 04:19 PM   #4
Solid State Member

Have you tried winsock fix? It's a small, free program that fixes alot of socket errors that cause various network connectivity issues. Just google winsock fix and you'll find it... it's gotten me out of several jams.
iprefernerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:07 PM   #5
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajrutherford
I just got another computer into the fray, exact same issue.

My boss and I both are beginning to think that a brand new virus is on the field. Is anyone else encountering similar issues, or have experience in hunting down viruses that anti-viruses can't detect?
To check if it's a virus i'd first run hijack this and look for weird enterys. If none are found i'd try a bootable rootkit scanner on the computer.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote