SMTP server timeouts

tempmember

Solid State Member
Hello, I'm trying to connect to an SMTP server using telnet via putty. Not just well known domains such as bigstring, aol, gmail, hotmail etc but also endless amount of not known or not popular ones. The problem is that although nmap says that port 25 is open, I can not establish any connection to ANY SMTP server (it just timeouts). Does anybody know a possible cause for this? I have tried disabling my firewall and using a proxy, but it still doesn't connect and now I've ran out of ideas. I also tried to disable my avast as well as legally used ip switcher program to make sure the problem is totally independent from my ISP. Its very important for me to get the solution to this, even if there might not be one. I have to do something to fix this problem and hopefully someone could help.

There are several different trouble areas, including the system logger, configuration issues, network oddities, and general system issues. As with any kind of troubleshooting, when you're having trouble with Postfix, you need to an idea of where the problem is before you can fix it.

so what to do? where and how (which command) to start investigating where the problem is? i cannot help myself anyhow yet with what you wrote so far.

To be honest this question is probably beyond most of the users here (no offense to anyone and myself included).

I don't know but I've been here since 2009 and am talking from experience when I say that these types of questions usually go unanswered or unresolved. It's just not something alot of the people here have knowledge about. Just trying to help so that you don't think people are ignoring you on purpose or that you get the wrong idea about the site. It's a very helpful site for hardware and software, but not so much beyond that.

Not just well known domains such as bigstring, aol, gmail, hotmail etc but also endless amount of not known or not popular ones. The problem is that although nmap says that port 25 is open, I can not establish any connection to ANY SMTP server (it just timeouts). Does anybody know a possible cause for this?

What are you doing? Dropping port scans for port 25? If so, most firewalls will have port 25 blocked unless you have a VPN. Futhermore, most firewalls will also have ACL's that will prevent outside traffic from trying to access well known ports and if they have moved the SMTP port to an unknown port, you can believe that some sort of reflexive solution has been put in place to stop such activity. Finally, you should never be able to Telnet to anything if the slightest amount of security is in place.

So, I ask again, what are you doing?

Last edited:
digitalghost Im trying to find the solution and its step by step implementation how to fix issue with every smtp's server TimeOut Error.

Back
Top Bottom