slow transfer speed

It's all cat5e.

The drives are both SATA. The read/write times of the NAS should be the same as the actual drives since they plug right into a SATA controller.

I've contacted D-link and linksys about their respective enclosures and they are saying that the drives seem to be setup right and that they can't help me...
Got to love it when they say that.. Lol..
I don't know enough about that particular one to be able to help you much.
Have you tried changing the network. I know you have tried different cables and places. But was it all setup the same way?
If so could you go into detail of how your network is setup.

It's all cat5e.

The drives are both SATA. The read/write times of the NAS should be the same as the actual drives since they plug right into a SATA controller.

I've contacted D-link and linksys about their respective enclosures and they are saying that the drives seem to be setup right and that they can't help me...

Have you tried a cat 6 cable? Everything I use is cat 6.

I haven't used Cat6 (because I do not have any available to me). If I can find a few I'll give it a shot though.

As for the set up: I have the 610N and two Gigabit switches. My desktop and the dlink enclosure are hooked up directly to the router along with my PS3. The rest (laptop, linksys enclosure, printer and a few other devices) are hooked up to the switches.

When I tried the "new" network, It was my router, laptop and the dlink, nothing else. I'm thinking If I get the time later, I'll try just using the switch and hard-set all my network IP's for a bit and see where that get's me.

You messaged me on AIM about this, but never followed up.

Those are inexpensive enclosures, and although the d-link does have a gigabit port, even in ideal circumstances they have problems hitting 100Mbps speeds. This is due to the wimpy processing power available on them likely combined with some poor programming.

Firstoff, what kind of files are you transfering, if you are transfering numerous small files like photos, those speeds would be typical. However if you are transfering large movies, iso images, etc those speeds should be higher. Your enclosures should be able to reach 10MB or so trasfering files over 1GB in size. As a test to see if it's network problems, connect the enclosure to PC using static IP addresses and a crossover cable and do a check.

Unless you have long lengths of cable, upgrading to CAT6 probably won't help you. I got a rosewill cable from newegg. 50ft for either $6 or $8.

Looks like Chris nailed it on the head. As a test, I copied three DVDs (all about 4 gigs in size) and it did get the 10 MB/s he said.

Usually, when I'm using it I was copying music to it as a back up, so large amounts of data in hundreds of files.

Chris, do you still want me to test with a xover cable?

Back
Top Bottom