slow transfer speed

Celegorm

Site Team
Staff member
OK so I need a little help.

I have a gigabit network at my apartment. Both of my computers support gigabit and so does my router and NAS enclosure.

I have the enclosure set to gigabit, not auto detect. When I copy files from computer to computer I get 50MB/s or more. However, If I'm accessing the enclosure I top off at 4MB/s. I've tried firmware on the router and NAS enclosure and even tried a new enclosure to the same results.

I have also gone to extremes like new cables, taking my router, enclosure and laptop to a new location to test and see if it was just a bunch of electro magnetic interferance and a new router but nothing has made a difference.

The routers used were Linksys WRT610n's and the enclosures were D-Link DNS-321.

I should also mention that I have another enclosure on my network. It is a Linksys enclosure that is only 10/100. It too only tops off at 4 MB/s.

Any idea on what is going on?

WoW Mod.

Ok back to the Subject.
It must be the Internet or ISP its 100% not your router thats causeing the problem.

call your ISP and check.

Wow, that's a strange one. I've got a couple Buffalo TeraStations, an a couple computers all networked through a gigabit switch. Is everything connected through the router? Does the nas enclosers have leds that let you know the link speed? Sounds to me like something with the nas network adapters. [edit]I'm downloading the NAS manual to see if I can find anything there.

Are you mapping the NAS using the D-link software? Looks like a very nice NAS to me, I'm surprised your having trouble with it.[end edit]

WoW Mod.

Ok back to the Subject.
It must be the Internet or ISP its 100% not your router thats causeing the problem.

call your ISP and check.

When it's all internal and nothing needs the internet for this, my ISP doesn't affect anything. Don't waste my time.

Wow, that's a strange one. I've got a couple Buffalo TeraStations, an a couple computers all networked through a gigabit switch. Is everything connected through the router? Does the nas enclosers have leds that let you know the link speed? Sounds to me like something with the nas network adapters. [edit]I'm downloading the NAS manual to see if I can find anything there.

Are you mapping the NAS using the D-link software? Looks like a very nice NAS to me, I'm surprised your having trouble with it.[end edit]

At the moment, the NAS is connected to a gigabit switch (which shows the link at gigabit) then to the router but switching it to a direct connection does not change anything. The LED on the NAS for connection only tells me it's connected not the speed, but the green light on the switch is a good sign.

I am not using the D-link mapping software. I never use utilities like that If I know how to do it without. I never did think about trying it with the software though, I'll have to give that a shot.

With the exception of this, it is very nice. My PS3 picks it up and I run movies and music off of there when I have people over. Thank you already for your help.

Normally I wouldn't use the software to map the drive if I didn't have to but it may be worth a try. Still thinking about what else could be causing your problem...

Just got the latest software from Dlink and nothing. Same speeds :(

Alrighty. Are you using Cat 5? I would use either Cat 5e or if you can even Cat 6 for a gig network.

What is in the NAS? IDE HDD? SATA? What about write / read times of the NAS?

It's all cat5e.

The drives are both SATA. The read/write times of the NAS should be the same as the actual drives since they plug right into a SATA controller.

I've contacted D-link and linksys about their respective enclosures and they are saying that the drives seem to be setup right and that they can't help me...

Back
Top Bottom