slow gigabit ethernet

david90

In Runtime
I have a VISTA 32bit ultimate shuttle SP35P2 with a built in gigabit ethernet port. I have a gigabit switch where the shuttle connects to but the transfer rate is really slow. It transfer only about 100kB/s to and from the server. I have other gigabit Ethernet computer connected to the same switch and they could transfer at 80MB/s. I looked in the network status and vista reported that the connection is gigabit. My switch is connected to an internet router and the shuttle does have internet but it is also slow (10KB/s transfer rate).

The shuttle can communicate on the network just fine except that the communication is extremely slow. On the shuttle's ethernet port, there are two LED lights. One is indicating the connection speed and the other is for activity. The shuttle's activity LED is constantly blinking but the gigabit switch does not see any of the activity. The gigabit switch stays quiet even though the shuttle's gigabit ethernet port has tons of activity. Seems like the shuttle is talking to itself because the gigabit switch's activity LED does not blink.

I get different result if I plug the shuttle's ethernet port into a 100mbit switch and then plug the 100mbit switch into the gigabit switch. The shuttle reports 100mbit connection and is able to transfer at 10mb/s which is near the specs of fast ethernet. Also the shuttle's activity LED goes quiet after the network handshake instead of constantly blinking.

I updated the ethernet driver. Currently I think the culprit is vista but it's just a wild guess. I blame everything on vista :). I'm an advance user and I have never seen this problem before.

Any advice? Thanks!

Ok. Not really sure what a 'shuttle' is?

Have you tried a differnt port on the switch? What kind of switch is it? It wouldn't be any kind of IP conflict? Have you tried unplugging the other computers from the switch and just using the one?

In this instance I presume he means a shuttle as in one of these ;)

You could be right about it being Vista - I have heard of similar issues occuring, though haven't personally encountered them. Your best bet to check if it is OS dependant would be to grab knoppix, boot up using that and check how things work there. If everything's as it's meant to be, you've found the culprit...

Back
Top Bottom