Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-22-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3
Default Sharing a printer on wireless network

Hey all I'm trying to setup my girlfriend's printer to be shared on her wireless network. The printer is a Cannon Pixma MP150. My first question is can it be shared over the nyetwork without being connected to a computer (just the router)? This is what I'm trying to do so if it isn't possible then I guess everything else here is irrelevant.

If that is a possibility though, how can I do this? The setup now is a cable modem with a wireless router attached to it. All the computers are laptops wirelessly connected; no desktops and no ethernet cables apart from the one between router and modem. The modem came with a wire to allow it to connect to a USB port to set it up, so I was trying to use it to connect the printer to the modem and have it be shared that way. I installed the driver for the printer on my computer, then disconnected the printer from it and tried to print wirelessly, but I just got an error saying to make sure it's connected properly. Anyone have any ideas on how I could make this work? Thanks
__________________

mynameismolotov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
In Runtime
 
crappybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 164
Default Re: Sharing a printer on wireless network

It won't work with that printer unless your router has some kind of print server feature. what kind of router do you have?
__________________

crappybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
Golden Master
 
DJ-CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,203
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: Sharing a printer on wireless network

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameismolotov View Post
Hey all I'm trying to setup my girlfriend's printer to be shared on her wireless network. The printer is a Cannon Pixma MP150. My first question is can it be shared over the nyetwork without being connected to a computer (just the router)? This is what I'm trying to do so if it isn't possible then I guess everything else here is irrelevant.

If that is a possibility though, how can I do this? The setup now is a cable modem with a wireless router attached to it. All the computers are laptops wirelessly connected; no desktops and no ethernet cables apart from the one between router and modem. The modem came with a wire to allow it to connect to a USB port to set it up, so I was trying to use it to connect the printer to the modem and have it be shared that way. I installed the driver for the printer on my computer, then disconnected the printer from it and tried to print wirelessly, but I just got an error saying to make sure it's connected properly. Anyone have any ideas on how I could make this work? Thanks
That USB port on your "modem" is for hooking up a computer only. That printer you mentioned will not work unless it's attached to a computer or a print server.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:12 PM   #4
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3
Default Re: Sharing a printer on wireless network

The router is a Netgear WGR614.

How much does a print server cost roughly, and is it difficult to set up at all?
mynameismolotov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:39 AM   #5
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 825
Default Re: Sharing a printer on wireless network

You have 3 basic options:

1. Select a laptop that will act as your print server (thus become stationary) and share the printer.
2. Lose the printer and buy an All-In-One with an ethernet connection.
3. Lose the wireless router and purchase this Netgear with built-in printer server (note the USB ports) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122151

I think the 3rd option may be your best bet ... since you can either offset the cost of a new router by selling your existing wireless router or use it elsewhere. And would pretty much solve your problem.
CrossCech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:20 AM   #6
Golden Master
 
dude_se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,632
Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se
Default Re: Sharing a printer on wireless network

yea not all routers come with usb cables. my bthomehub luckily came with a standard usb port that you could setup for a printer.
out of the 3 above it say either use a pc to share the printer, or get a new router. most new decent ones should have some sort of print server ability. just depends if you have money to spend.
__________________
Laptop spec: ASUS X53E, i5 2430m 2.4ghz, 3gb ram, 320gb hdd, intel hd graphics, usb 3.0
dude_se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:09 AM   #7
Golden Master
 
DJ-CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,203
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: Sharing a printer on wireless network

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCech View Post
I think the 3rd option may be your best bet ... since you can either offset the cost of a new router by selling your existing wireless router or use it elsewhere. And would pretty much solve your problem.
Their's a big issue of compatibility with cheaper printers and print servers. Alot of the cheap low end printers simply won't work with your average "dumb" printserver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameismolotov View Post
The router is a Netgear WGR614.

How much does a print server cost roughly, and is it difficult to set up at all?
They go anywhere from about $50 USD up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_se View Post
yea not all routers come with usb cables. my bthomehub luckily came with a standard usb port that you could setup for a printer.
out of the 3 above it say either use a pc to share the printer, or get a new router. most new decent ones should have some sort of print server ability. just depends if you have money to spend.
Most decent routers lack a print server. Only a very small number on the market have one. It's an improper security practice to have a print server on a router, but its a handy shortcut for someone in a home office enviroment sometimes.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:22 AM   #8
Golden Master
 
dude_se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,632
Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se
Default Re: Sharing a printer on wireless network

ive seen a few around, and if the bt homehub has one then theres hope
i meant to write usb port not cable above ^
im just having a wierd day where i dunno what im saying/typing
... im pretty sure im sober too
__________________
Laptop spec: ASUS X53E, i5 2430m 2.4ghz, 3gb ram, 320gb hdd, intel hd graphics, usb 3.0
dude_se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:19 PM   #9
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 825
Default Re: Sharing a printer on wireless network

I guess I didn't see the Canon printer the OP listed as low-end. Netgear's website doesn't list that exact model printer as one that is compatible, but it also doesn't say that it isn't. Says the pixma mp210 is compatible, but don't know if there are huge differences between the mp150 and mp210. Here's the link for the compatiblity list for the Netgear router above: http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101216.asp

***And the reason for saying the 3rd option may be the OP's best option, is because all pc's on his network are laptops ... he'd lose the mobility of one of the laptops if one became the printer server. He can always research to find a wireless router with print server ability that has proven compatibility with his particular printer if the one I listed isn't satisfactory.
CrossCech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:02 PM   #10
Beta Member
 
mackoko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4
Default Re: Sharing a printer on wireless network

why not try to share your printer from one pc then share it to your network. just map the printer for easy access.

errrr
__________________

mackoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0