Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-15-2004, 11:15 AM   #1
Beta Member

Send a message via MSN to marineteen1000 Send a message via Yahoo to marineteen1000
Default Sharing Internet

Hi
Im quite new to this so sorry if this sounds a bit weird.Anyway i wan to share my grandays internet connection its aol broadband so normally youd buy a wireless router right and the other stuuf but ihave been told by vairous people that if i remove the aol modem and replace it aol will shut my account down with them.So is thier any way around this aol prob.The computers are in different houses but their only around 30 metres if that apart.
thanks.
p.s.
could i use 2 bluetooth usb adapters one in each computer

marineteen1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 12:13 PM   #2
Beta Member

Send a message via MSN to marineteen1000 Send a message via Yahoo to marineteen1000
Default Re: Sharing Internet

anyone?

Old 12-17-2004, 06:15 PM   #3
Guru

Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

Talk to AOL about it - they'll probably be happy to sell you a Router that is ok with your AOL account.

Or! You could get a proper Internet Provider
Old 12-26-2004, 04:05 AM   #4
Golden Master

I've decided to get cable internet with Comcast cable company. I'm going to buy a Linksys wireless router that supports cable (approved by Comcast already). They said that it will allow one computer in my household to connect to the internet. I know I can add another PC to it, but Comcast won't let me unless they charge me extra per month.

How do I configure two computers to share cable internet without having to hassle the cable company? I know I can split the signal with the router up to 5 computers. I plan on installing wireless adapters on the two computers so we can both use the internet. Now how do I configure the computers so they can see each other? Do I set the gateway, DNS the same on both computers? I'm given only one IP address to use the internet, so how do I allow two computers to use that? Have it obtain IP address automatically?
Old 12-26-2004, 12:41 PM   #5
Beta Member

how about starting this in a new thread this is pretty old now.
Old 12-26-2004, 12:58 PM   #6
Golden Master

I don't think it really matter how old the thread is, if the problem is the same. I should have done a better search though instead of posting here because my topic is not similar to the original thread. I found another thread from September I'm going to post simply because my problem is exactly the same as the other guys, and posting a new thread for the same problem would be kind of pointless. Unless you guys don't mind me posting a new thread of the same old topic from the past. Whatever you guys like, I will have no problem at all doing it. I have to get the feel how people from different forums react. Some forums are more picky than others, while some are less strict and more loosely moderated.