Sharing a cable modem connection?

Masahiro

BSOD
Hello everyone,

Can you help me?

My friend has seen a new PC he likes an is going to buy it, but first, he wants to share a (Blueyonder) cable connection between his new and old PCs. They are going to be in two diffrient rooms. What's the cheapest / easiest option?

usually with a cable or dsl connection you simply get a Router, some category 5/5e/6 cable one cable for each pc(any of those'll work.), and soem Network Interface Cards (NICs). and of course an network enabled OS with the Transmission Control Protocol/Internetwoking Protocol (TCP/IP) standard enabled.

Then you would follow the directions provided by the hardware manufacturer(s) to get setup. Nics are easy to install in your PCI slot, for windows it's plug-n-play so your card is autodetected and If Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol or DHCP is used in your network, it will automatically give you an IP address. However, I do not recommend this for home setups unless you got lots of pcs. windows xp will soemtimes give you the wrong default gateway which dotn match your router!

For Example:
when you get a linksys "network everyewhere" series router you would need to have it setup as a gateway instead of a router or you will not get an outside IP.
also when you get this make sure to hook it up the the "internet"port not the first port labeled "port one" linksys routers are a peice of cake!!

Internet connectivity setup for windows xp:::::::

go to "network connections"
go to the connection

make sure that it has gotten the right IPs if it is setup as defualt for DHCP
if not you may have to statically assign an IP
do this by right clicking on that connection and going to properties,

now go to TCP/IP protocol
then click properties.

now go to the address section and enter the values that you need.
(for help on this go to the router setup on linksys network everywhere routers or linksys in genreal go to the IP confi address and then look at the settings there and the IP range)
then you'll enter these addresses in there:
for example if my router had the IP of:
your IP address Id select would be: 112.110.100.1

the subnet mask is inputted for you:

the defualt gateway is your router's IP. which in this case would be 112.110.1.1

and then look for the DNS servers on your routers setup....

to make this easier linksys gives you a setup cd!!!

To get online with Internet explorer you'd go to your internet explorer properties and go to connections, then lan settings,

there you'd check the "automatic settings" checkbox and click ok.

then click ok to close the rest.

to share files all you would need to do is to right click on "my computer" and go to computer name and choose a workgroup name for your home network shoose soemthing creative and easy to remember keep it short.

then do the same on teh other computers!

next after work group configuration right click on teh folder(s) you wish to share and go to the properties page and go to teh sharing tab and click "I want to share this folder..." and then click ok.

Now youve shoudlheve gotten the folder shared and your network should be up and running

I fyou need more information pelase let me know!

I need a little more infor.

I know this is an old thread so I hope I don't get chewed for this. Let me know if it's better to start a new thread even if the problem is the same.

I'm also starting an internet connection sharing scheme using cable internet. I know how to install the hardware (Wireless router, NIC's, Wireless adapters, software install), but I don't understand the basic concept on how two computers communicate with each other and go out to the Inernet through IP configuration. I suck at networking. I want to connect 2 PCs togehter to share cable connection mainly. The info above is great, but I need to double check on things.

Comcast cable company will give me a defautl gateway and IP right upon avtivating my account? They say it's only for one computer or can I also type this gateway, subnet, or whatever they give me for the second computer too? And have the IP address obtain automatically? I know where to go to initiate this (control panel, network connections, etc.) but dont know if two computers can use the defaut numbers the Comcast cable company gives me. They said it's used for my PC, but they didn't say anything about the other PC.

Once the hardware and software is setup on the two PCs, I was going to go into Network Connections and set the Gateway, DNS, Subnet the same on both PCs and have the IP address obtain automatically. Is that right? Will this allow both computers to go on to the internet?

you can use a router. they wont say anything about it at least charter ddint

what happens is when u have a router your connection Is under Network Address Translation, which means your computers in your home network will have inside IPs and your routers has the outside IP. and your router translates your inside IPs with teh outside IPs so you can connect to the internet.

so you do not have to get a second IP from your cable provuder sicne your router uses it and your PCs have inside IP addresses. your cable ISP sont say anything or charger you extra for extra pcs being connected. ;)

hope that helps:)

OH yeah, that helps a bunch. Now i know it's possible to do get a second IP. So how do I configure the gateway and IP addresses and everything? Or is that done automatically?

Back
Top Bottom