Setting up a wireless network

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
This was taken from another thread in the General Hardware, but I don't think it will get answered because the other thread didn't address my concern, so here goes.

Here's the scenario:

DWL-520_diagram.jpg

I'm not familiar with networking which is why I have a question regarding that picture. Does Computer 2 have to have a ethernet cable attached to it or can that recieve Internet signals (wireless) like the PC on the bottom?

You would think as long as the cable modem or DSL (whatever kind of connection you have) is connected to a wireless router, it will broadcast that signal to all the PCs that have a wireless adapter. Can someone explain to me this?

no pc needs to be connected to the router ONCE it has been configured. You'll need to hardwire in at first to configure the router to do what you want it to as a wireless router. You will then need wireless adapter cards in each pc you want to connect. The picture you have is to show that the router can be used for BOTH wired and wireless connection, at the same time even. The dlink router probably has 4 hardwire ports on the back, to give you the option of going wired, wireless, or both.

Oh ok. So inital hardwire first for configuration and after that, go wireless or hardwire. I hope a lot of these routers come with big poster size step by step directions too, lol. HP does that with their printers and make installing a piece of cake.

It's good to know that because that one pc with the cable kind of threw off the mix of a "wireless" network. So that was on my mind. But if all it's for is demonstration purpose of it's capability to use both wired and wireless, then I would configure that network in the picture to be all wireless.

excellent. check around and ask for opinions on what wireless router would work best for your situation and/or future plans to expand. Check for range abilities, proven strength of signal. Everyone's place of residence is different, keeping in mind that metal/aluminum (washer/dryer, refrigerators, heating/ac ducts) are enemies to wireless signals. So you need to really plan for all contigencies ... as best as you can. Good luck!

you might not even have to hardwire in to configure, most routers by default are wide open with wireless enabled just plug it in and connect, http with the default ip address probably 192.168.0.1

Back
Top Bottom