Setting up LAN, tried 2 routers...each with different results

deejaycruiser

Solid State Member
So guys i am setting up a lan with the following

1: 8 laptops
2: 1 mobile phone that sends an SMS
3: 8 printers (ethernet ports, RJ-45 cables)

So basically i have tested two routers and have remarkably different results

DLink Router

- printers print immediately on request
- SMS triggers immediately
- laptops crash and disconnect at times...

My router from my internet service provider

- printers have a 10 second delay before printing
- SMS does not even trigger
- no crashing, haven't had a single disconnection

So why such different results, and considering the above setup could anyone recommend a sturdy router? I have been thinking of going for a Linksys, people generally have their iffies with Dlink, but linksys semes pretty solid across the board....thoughts??

Ah ha! Awesome great insight Darkseeker, any suggestions on what might type of router might work best considering my setup??

you need to check up on the specs of your wireless adapters in your cards. Some laptops only have G-band receivers which would not work properly with an N-band signal, whereas N Band cards are backwards compatible with G-band signals. So, theres a much bigger chance that G-band would work with everything on your network. These days though, the majority of home routers and business hubs are N-band.

well it seems like the main difference between N and G is bandwidth, but i don't think that's an issue since N bandwidth is for pretty heavy server usage, while G should be more than plenty for what i need...im also using older printers (4-5 years old)...i will check it out you're the man thanks for your help!

well it's not oonly bandwidth, they are different protocols and work on different frequencies. If a receiver is set to use one protocol and one specific bandwidth and you feed it a totaly different one you can expect it to misbehave lol xD

G is abot 54mbps and N is supposedly up to 600mbps.

Back
Top Bottom