Ok so iv solved my problem, and here is how I did it...
- Reformatted win server 08 so I had a clean slate
- Gave the 3 NICs static ips, each on there own subnet like so:
- --NIC1 (connects to dsl modem): ip:10.1.1.10, netmask: 255.0.0.0, dg:10.1.1.1,dns:126.96.36.199 (google dns server)
- --NIC2: ip:10.255.50.1, netmask:255.255.255.0, dg:blank, dns:127.0.0.1
- --NIC3: ip:10.255.100.1, netmask:255.255.255.0, dg:blank, dns:127.0.0.1
3. Added DNS Role, created a root domain called d3m3tr1x and added googles DNS servers and my ISP DNS server ip's
4. Added DCHP Role, choose NIC2 and NIC3 as the adapters to broadcast on and set up 2 scopes - range:10.255.50.10/100, ntmask:255.255.255.0,dg:10.255.50.1 for NIC2 and the same thing with the appropriate address for NIC3
5. Added Routing and remote access Role and added All nics to the NAT section, and NIC2 and NIC3 to the DHCP relay section
6. Enabled file sharing on the server (without passwords) and gave the server network visibility.
....So now I have 2 subnets that give out valid ip info to the clients and all clients have internet access
the only problem I have left is the clients can only see the server and the other clients on the same subnet, and cant the clients on the other subnet, but il worry about that another day.
So thats how I set up a central file/print server that distributes the internet and files/printers to clients on two different network cards, with a third network card connected to a DSL modem.
Hope that helps anyone else that tries do something similiar