Searching for a new router

GearHead

Beta member
Presently, I have a D-Link DIR-600 router, and I believe it's time to upgrade. Recently, I've been having horrid connection problems, including terrible lag, constant connection dropping, etc. To be quite honest, I think I have way too many things running on it.

All together, here is what I have in the house:
(1) Desktop
(3) Laptops
(3) iPhone 4S
(2) PS3
(1) ATT M-Cell

Now usually, not all of these devices are running at once. The ATT M-cell is always connected to the internet via an ethernet cable. Everything else in the home runs via wireless connection. Usually, the most that runs at one time are 2 PS3's and 3 iPhones.

I do a little bit of online gaming on my PS3 (Battlefield 3), but use it mostly for streaming video from my desktop, and my roommate mainly uses his PS3 for streaming things on Netflix.

What kind of router would be best to handle the load put on it without causing constant lag/disconnects? Money isn't a HUGE issue, but I'd prefer something economical as opposed to some beast $300 router. LOL

I've done my best to provide you guys with all the information I can think of that is related, but if there's anything else, I'd be happy to answer.

Use can get a Cisco N router for under $200. Your local Best Buy would have a ton of N routers.

I would get some thing basic and brick it with dd-wrt or even open wrt. I wont make any recommendations as I really do not want to advertise any particular brand here!

TP-Link has some outstanding routers. A lot of bang for the buck. And a snap to set up.
Don't let the cheap prices fool you. When I set up networks TP-Link is all I use.
Wireless Routers

I would not get Netgear.

Netgear is fine for the low-end user, but in my experience, when you are pushing a heavy load on them, the Netgear routers tend to overheat and lock up on you.

Considering the load you plan on putting on your wireless, I'd recommend going with a gigabit router such as the TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND or maybe even a Cisco product.

Back
Top Bottom