School Network

iXtremeLuke

Beta member
Ok Me and my mate used a Proxy site which allows us to login to sites such as Facebook and Twitter
After about 3-4 Mins of surfing Facebook my account was detected and disabled by an Administrator.
It makes me wonder how they detect this so far as out school as over 200 computers, All the links we encoded.

Can somebody tell me how I got detected but my mate didnt hence he was on Facebook too.

Cheers

There are a few ways to do something like this but I'm going to toss out the most common.

When you're on a school's network they can monitor everything you do. There are programs that can sniff packets and pull information out of them. Even using a proxy, you would still have a request in a packet that has the term Facebook in it. If that triggers an alert the admin can investigate and act on it.

Why you got blocked and your buddy didn't is a little more difficult to answer. My guess is maybe the admin was only able to confirm that you were on facebook but couldn't prove that your friend was. If there are 200 computers and all 200 were powered on, that's a lot of packets to go through.

I was always able to get through by using remote desktop to my htpc at home. It's highly unlikely that that's blocked, since it's kind of a necessary thing for students.

I was also quite successful in tethering the school computers to my smartphone's internet connection. Just make sure you reconnect it to the school network when you're done.

Last edited:
my school used to block some sites outright but not FB since people complained that they used it to collaborate on projects from home and it got unblocked but for the most part no one ever got caught only that time they got sued by the record companies but even then they just scanned everyones personal files on the server and disabled people with illegal music. They got wifi after a while and that was basically untraceable.

Basically talk to an admin and make a case that FB can be used productively maybe he'll buy it

key word: Proxy

Definition: connects to the internet on behalf of a client host

Answer to your question: you're accessing the internet through your school's servers, everything that goes through that proxy tunnel is monitored.

Proxy unblockers mask your activity and access sites on your behalf. Which, apart from being very security-unsound is also fairly pointless, since the school probably have monitoring software installed on the domain controller anyway.

Also, the only difference between Wireless and wired is the protocol (802.3, 802.11g/b/n), the network technologies and topology remain the same. They probably could trace it like they do everything else, they probably just didn't bother.

They will always know and will always find out. Trust me. You deserve to have your account blocked if you were breaking the rules of the school.

Back
Top Bottom