Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-08-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default running two routers at once? help

Ok current i have a dlink 4 port router....is it possible to connect from one of the ports another router so i can run internet to more computers??? ive tried changin my ip address (which someone told me) on the computer and things its just not working can anyone help me out...if u dont understand my question just ask and ill try to explain it better

gman121388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:42 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: running two routers at once? help

can you post a pic of the back and I can tell you what to plug what into.It should be that there are 4 ports and You can simply add a new cable to each port and run that to every computer (4) and It work fine.

2.3 tricore phenom,2 GB RAM , EVGA 9600 GSO,250 GB SSD
2.6 X4 620, 4GB RAM, 9600 GSO, 500 GB HDD/I'm part of The Project
ace777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:46 PM   #3
Solid State Member

yes i know that lol....i have that 4port router wit 4 computers already hoooked up to it.,...i have another 4 port router that i want to run off of one of the ports coming from the first router....wen i connect it as so it connects to the network just fine but i can not get internet access.....better?
Old 05-08-2007, 08:56 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

You can theroretically do this, however I recomend purchasing a switch. In a standard setup you should only have 1 router per house
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:13 PM   #5
Solid State Member

yea well could u possibly run me through settin up the two routers.,,,,if not how would i set up a switch wit a router or w.e.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:52 AM   #6
BSOD

Quote:
Ok current i have a dlink 4 port router....is it possible to connect from one of the ports another router so i can run internet to more computers??? ive tried changin my ip address (which someone told me) on the computer and things its just not working can anyone help me out...if u dont understand my question just ask and ill try to explain it better
Why not buy a router with more ports on it? Instead of a 4 port router maybe look into 8 or even 16 port router (if needed). You can setup two routers for you're home network however, I don't recall *DLINK* having an option to do this on the back of their units.

I know you can do this with LINKSYS routers/switches etc.... not to sure about DLINK though. I will double check with my homeboy on this...

Quick question for gman, what is the exact model of your dlink router also the firmware version on the bottom of the unit? Thanks, 0x0161
0x0161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:47 PM   #7
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se

i would consider a new router and maybe even a faster internet connection (your may already be fast though). especially if you are planning on having 4+ users on the network. if you dont want to do that then theres some good links on this page http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...e+Search&meta=
Old 05-09-2007, 01:13 PM   #8
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

I think if you use a crossover cable (since the standard patch doesnt seem to be workin quite right) from one of the switches on the first router, and plug that into the input (where a DSL/cable modem would normally plug in) on the second router, then it might work.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:26 PM   #9
BSOD

You should cascade your DLINK router, homeboy. Need help just PM ME.
0x0161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:33 PM   #10
Baseband Member

Send a message via AIM to compjake Send a message via MSN to compjake Send a message via Yahoo to compjake

Just take a normal Ethernet cable and plug it into the first router where you would plug a computer in and plug the other into the WAN port on the new router. If that doesn't work then you have a bad cable.

I have my house wired that way to give everyone a good wireless signal and it works perfectly.

ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 | AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ @ 6350+ | eVGA NVIDIA Geforce 8600GT (PCI-E)| eVGA NVIDIA Geforce 6600GT (AGP) | 2.0GB DDR (PC-3200) | Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 | Microsoft Windows XP PRO SP2
compjake is offline   Reply With Quote