router question

webcamguy

Baseband Member
I got a problem, i gotta disconnect my router when i wanna cam wit someone. Is there a way around that :rolleyes:
its a linksys router.

I did alittle research into Linksys routers and I did not find a way to turn off their built-in firewall ... The firewall is preventing you from making any outside contact ...

Linksys includes a DHCP server that gives your home computers a dynamically assigned a TCP/IP address on boot and a NAT server which allows all your computers to attach to the internet at the same time over a single TCP/IP address. Linksys is like super cool because it hides your systems quite well in stealth mode.. meaning your computer is totally invisible on the internet.. except for the ports which are open for web and email services.. <<>> Those Web and email outgoing packets can be altered as well with alittle cypher text ... Oh.. I can go on forever of the *UnSpeakable* options available with a good router and server that grants auth with those UnSpeakables ...

Ajust your router to *Peak Proformance" and then scan your own ports :
http://grc.com/intro.htm

Let me know how you make out ...

Sincerely
CourtneyDS

Probably a dead post, but I never saw a response so I thought I'd offer up a suggestion.

Since you have a Linksys router if you don't want to disconnect your router every time you want to use your cam, there is a selection in the tabs that says "DMZ" which in Military terms is Demilitarized Zone. Basically it states that the computer with the IP addresses that you specify, found in the DHCP tab, will be completely vulnerable and free to the internet. It's the browser way of removing the router without actually removing the router. Let it be known though that you may only have one computer on the DMZ at a time.

If you're feeling savvy you can always find out which port you need to set access permissions in your router settings. There are port triggers that you can set up to forward their web cam link to your computer and then your link to them.

If possible I'd go with the second option since it keeps all your other ports that would be open to an attack closed off and secure.

????

It will not work ... You can not disable the inner firewall on the Link sys router ... All I suggest is to UnPlug the cable out of your modem / UnPlug the cable out of the back of your router and plug it directly into the back of your modem ... <<->> UnPlug your modem's power source for 30 seconds / plug it back in ... Wait for the blinking to stop on the modem and boost your system ...

Sincerely
CourtneyDS

Config the ports on your router.
Look on the web for your webcam program and there is probably a port lists avaible, then finally enable it. I hope I helped you out.

GMD

I had struggled with this very situation for ever with a BEFSR41 Linksys router and trying to webcam on MSN Messenger. The Linksys support was terrible on this issue. I never did get it to work well. I would get video and no audio or vice versa. Anyway, I got my thinkin' cap on and I says to myself. Self...M$oft makes the OS you run. M$oft makes the MSN Messenger that you like. Maybe a Microsoft 802.11g wireless base station/router with 4 ports CAT 5 Ethernet for wired network would be a good idea. MN-700 Base Station and MN-730 Wireless for my remote bedroom PC and now I am netcamming with all my family! I am very happy with it. PS. It also has a firewall that cannot be turned off, but it does not interfere with my use of MSN Messenger.

CourtneyDS said:
Those Web and email outgoing packets can be altered as well with alittle cypher text ...

oh? what do you mean by this?

you seem quite fond of hardware routers.

Back
Top Bottom